PSU for braswell PC

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

sschnee

PSU for braswell PC

Post by sschnee » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:47 pm

I'd like to build a new PC soon for my kids, for web browsing and streaming video from my Plex server. I'll probably run Linux Mint, but might stick with Windows 10.
My plan is an ITX Braswell board, either a 3150 or a 3700, a SSD, 4GB RAM, a DVD drive, and a couple of fans, if needed.

I was originally going to use a Pico PSU, but was also reading good things about the Seasonic 360W G-Series 80+Gold PSU.

Obviously, 360W is way more than I need, but I'm repurposing an Antec Solo for this build, so there is plenty of room for the Seasonic.

Is there a good reason to pick one over the other? The PicoPSU is only a little cheaper, but would leave a big open hole in the back of my case. The Seasonic is likely to provide cleaner power, but I don't know if that really matters.

CA_Steve

Re: PSU for braswell PC

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Why not go for a NUC or MSI Cubi? 6-7W idle, small footprint, pretty cheap. A G360 Braswell system will be closer to 20-25W idle.

sschnee

Re: PSU for braswell PC

Post by sschnee » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:11 am

Good question. I thought I might save money this way, since I have a case already, but that might not even be true. I'll look into it.