New PSU time!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

quest_for_silence

Re: New PSU time!

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:29 am

Neocray wrote:I've found a couple reviews for this specific model (Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC) with ingame tests (mostly Crysis 2). The GPU pumps up to 270-280 W, or even almost 300 W with extra OC.

It may be possible, but in case the mistake lies in summing all the addends: each part draws the most at different moments (the HDD at boot, the GPU when gaming or crunching, and so on). As a consequence you cannot max out in real life scenarios (and often even when performing a thermal stress test) as the mere, theorethical total amount might suggest: checking reviews with consumption taken at the wall like eteknix, guru3D, techspot ones, should easily confirm you this fact.

Neocray wrote:The P2 550 doesn't seem to exist. At least, it's not listed on eVGA website in EU, nor found in online vendors. The G2 650 sells at around 115 €, overshooting the other options.
If it isn't available yet, it will likely be, as it's just the newest addition to the Platinum line: if you look for a quotation, you may look for the almost identical Super Flower Leadex Platinum SF-550F14MP (IIRC you may find a nice review on Tom's), usually pricing were comparable (that's why I didn't priorly checked for the P2 550: when the SF unit is seen in the wild, usually there's also the relevant EVGA sibling).

Neocray wrote:Looks like the RM550x is definitely the better option.
Currently the RMx is probably the best all-around in the market, though at 110 euros a Seasonic XP2 would be an excellent unit.
The RM650i is a nice option too, but price-wise it isn't that competitive, unless you may need to unleash the Link capabilities.

Neocray

Post by Neocray » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:50 am

quest_for_silence wrote:It may be possible, but in case the mistake lies in summing all the addends: each part draws the most at different moments (the HDD at boot, the GPU when gaming or crunching, and so on).
Right, got it.
quest_for_silence wrote:If it isn't available yet, it will likely be, as it's just the newest addition to the Platinum line: if you look for a quotation, you may look for the almost identical Super Flower Leadex Platinum SF-550F14MP (IIRC you may find a nice review on Tom's), usually pricing were comparable (that's why I didn't priorly checked for the P2 550: when the SF unit is seen in the wild, usually there's also the relevant EVGA sibling).
Well, then it can be found around 130 € at best, only 10 € cheaper than P2 650.
quest_for_silence wrote:Currently the RMx is probably the best all-around in the market, though at 110 euros a Seasonic XP2 would be an excellent unit.
The RM650i is a nice option too, but price-wise it isn't that competitive, unless you may need to unleash the Link capabilities.
I was thinking more about the FDB fan of the RMi units than the Link features. The RM650i can be found at 120 €. Maybe it's worth 20 € for 100 extra watts, a FDB fan and the Link.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:06 am

Neocray wrote:I was thinking more about the FDB fan of the RMi units than the Link features. The RM650i can be found at 120 €. Maybe it's worth 20 € for 100 extra watts, a FDB fan and the Link.

I guess it's up to your call.

Personally I don't see any apparent advantage in FDB over rifle: warranty length is the same, and lots of SPCR best rated fans are either sleeve or rifle, not FDB.

Link may be interesting for safety purposes (OCP is virtually the most effective short circuit protection), and because I was told that you might cook your own custom PSU fan curve using softwares like SIV (System Information Viewer).

Eventually those 100W more would seem useless, unless you want to setup a SLI pair.
You may loose some efficiency at low loads too.

Neocray

Post by Neocray » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:58 am

That's right, the Link capabilities look very shiny, especially if it allows a fan management.

I don't plan to use SLI in near future, but it might happen.
Anyway, I'll see if I can bargain a RM650i in my usual shop, and I still can order a cheap RM550x online if it fails.

Thanks a lot for your lights and sharing your extensive knowledge.

I have to choose a case now. :D

Neocray

Post by Neocray » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:49 am

The price of the RM650i has risen a little, so I had a choice between 125 € on Amazon UK or 135 € in a local reseller. As he may have me a price on a monitor and I had a good feeling, I went for the local reseller. So it's a little more expensive than planned, but it may be worth the cost.

Nec_V20

Re: New PSU time! HX850 UNBEARABLE after GPU change

Post by Nec_V20 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

nster wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:Don't have any positive or negative thoughts on the Snow Silent. Seasonic had some issues with some builds for "coil" whine. Don't know if it has been definatively resolved with the Snow Silent architecture. Note: I own several Seasonic PSUs - none had issues. I'm iffy on recommending them just because there isn't much new data, yet.
Is that the kind of thing that is apparent at the beginning or can it develop over time?

Whoa that EVGA has some incredible reviews, just like the RMi!
EVGA sells rebranded Super Flower PSUs which are really excellent - the EVGA Supernova P2 650W for example. Given the choice between a rebranded Super Flower Leadex platinum and a rebranded Channel Well gold unit then I know where my money will go.

I personally consider the PSU to be the single most important component in a computer, and the one I spend the most time ruminating over when it comes to building a rig.

I make my choice of PSU by the efficiency first. I will not look at anything below a platinum rating. Within that criteria I then whittle down the choices by how much power the hardware will require (no point in getting an 860 Watt Corsair AX860 when the system will never use more than 300 Watt), modular design, if the fan has a hybrid function, ripple - or rather lack of it. I then look at what is available and check out reviews I know I can trust. I then have it down to one or at most two choices and then I go on the hunt for that unit at the best price I can find from a vendor I know I can trust.

This is how I ended up going with a Super Flower Leadex 550 Watt Platinum PSU (which I got for around £76 including shipping) for my newest system.