PSU options for Core 500 / Node 304

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Quinnbeast

PSU options for Core 500 / Node 304

Post by Quinnbeast » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Evening peeps!

I'm currently looking at the option of putting together a new system based around either the Fractal Core 500 or Node 304 for a variety of duties (none of them especially taxing) - basic HTPC / file storage / Netflix & Amazon video / Plex server (for music). I don't plan to add a separate GPU, but if I did, it would be a fairly low power option that would be covered by a decent 350W PSU. I've not yet ruled out going down the MSI Cubi + extra HDD route for a considerably smaller footprint... but I'm always going to be tempted by the prospect of a more conventional build and the versatility that comes with it.

Approx components list will be something like this (some of it will be repurposed from my current box):

Intel Pentium G4400
Asus H170 or H110 ITX motherboard
4-8 GB RAM
1x SSD / 1xHDD

I'm trying to get a clear idea of what my options are for PSU choice, mostly in terms of logistics and cable management. Options considered so far...

Be Quiet SP10 400W - This was my first choice, but it looks like it has some really long cables that I think might be a deal-breaker in a small case.

Seasonic G360 - I'm fairly certain this would work, and would be pretty much ideal. Buuut, I'm a little spoilt (in noise terms) from using the Dark Power range from Be Quiet in my main PC. Not sure if the non-modular cabling would be problematic, but there shouldn't be much spare cabling to bind up even without a GPU. Fan noise could be an issue...

EVGA G2 550W - This is available at a decent price (same as the Seasonic G450) while being fully modular & just about as efficient as the G360. This is perhaps the upper end of what I had in mind budget-wise (£69 / $105).

Be Quiet 500W CM - This would definitely work, but at this point it's starting to get a bit pricey for an otherwise modest setup (£85 UK - about 130 dollars at current exchange rate).

Essentially, I've never built anything smaller than a mATX build before, so component choice obviously needs to be a little more careful. If anyone has any pearls of wisdom, they'd be appreciated!

quest_for_silence

Re: PSU options for Core 500 / Node 304

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:36 am

Probably there are no pearls: probably you have too few watts along with some space constraints to fully justify an ATX Power Supply, a pico-like unit is apparently more suited.

If you want to stick to a regular ATX unit, personally I'd look for a Super Flower Golden Silent Fanless Platinum 430W (alternatively to the E10 500 CM), whether it may fit, or I'd opt for a different kind of trade off.

Among the options you listed, comparatively only the G2 550 looks like less well suited (it may have a short fanless operation range).

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:28 am

I'm still considering a pico-style unit (especially since I'm unlikely to be adding a GPU) but worthwhile reviews of the different brands of power brick are in fairly short supply, so it feels like a little more of a gamble. The only brand I'm vaguely familiar with is this FSP unit -

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/150w-fsp ... ciency-psu

But, at £60 (plus £30 for the pico), I'd be more confident throwing the same money at an ATX unit with a 5+ year warranty. I'll definitely take a look at that SF option.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:13 am

Quinnbeast wrote:But, at £60 (plus £30 for the pico), I'd be more confident throwing the same money at an ATX unit with a 5+ year warranty. I'll definitely take a look at that SF option.

A probably smarter move could be looking for a suitable Thin-ITX board (those with a DC 19V supply, like most notebooks) along with an 80-90W high efficiency brick (like this one: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005G19H2K).

Obviously, it won't be a fully fledged Super Flower Platinum, quality-wise (though it would cost less: the adviced Super Flower Platinum fanless 430W is about 76GBP from caseking.de, which is the european SF distributor, excl. shipping charges to UK).

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:30 am

So, the thin ITX boards just need a DC-in from a suitable power brick and no pico-style PSU? That does look like an interesting option, especially if those FSP bricks are up to the task. But... I'm only seeing H81 and Q87 chipsets for these boards. That's not to say that a Haswell-based system wouldn't be entirely suitable for me needs, but I could be buying my way into a dead end if there aren't going to be any newer incarnations on the cards.

The closest I can see is a proposed new line from Intel, but I guess there's still the same possible issue of buying into something that doesn't catch on (i.e. compatible case / PSU etc for future upgrades) http://techreport.com/news/28894/intel- ... therboards

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Or, just get a NUC/NUC variant and call it a day.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Uh-oh. Here comes Captain Sensible, drawing his perfectly reasonable conclusions!

Well, yeah. There is of course a natural jumping-off point with increasingly small form factors that pretty much makes a NUC-a-like a no-brainier. I just don't know if I'll be able to handle not actually cobbling together a set of components as part of the process. I mean, a PC system that doesn't require the use of aftermarket heat sinks, case fans, thermal compound, a mound of zip ties and a couple of hours of swearing? Where's the fun in that?!

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Quinnbeast wrote: Intel Pentium G4400
Asus H170 or H110 ITX motherboard
4-8 GB RAM
1x SSD / 1xHDD
As steve suggested, Nuks or alikes could be a better solution, there are some aftermarket that can go fanless.

But if you are set on going with g4400, then i would go with Antec 110K, it can fit both a SSD and HDD (2.5) on the back. Im about to build something very similar. Be careful with Asus H170, as its a DDR3L not DDR4 nor the standard DDR3.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:58 pm

I guess I kinda like basic PCs that idle at 7W. The most efficient ATX PSUs waste 6W at idle.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:48 am

Quinnbeast wrote:Uh-oh. Here comes Captain Sensible, drawing his perfectly reasonable conclusions!

Well, yeah. There is of course a natural jumping-off point with increasingly small form factors that pretty much makes a NUC-a-like a no-brainier. I just don't know if I'll be able to handle not actually cobbling together a set of components as part of the process. I mean, a PC system that doesn't require the use of aftermarket heat sinks, case fans, thermal compound, a mound of zip ties and a couple of hours of swearing? Where's the fun in that?!
Well, you'll get a whole new set of problems to deal with. First find a nice passive case and then you can dive into the new exotic issues of overheating SSDs and the like. :)

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Despite my penchant for sarcasm, the feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks all.

Steve - 7W? That's impressive, and not to be sniffed at. From recollection, the ATI 4850 (O.C. Vapor-X) in my Core 2 system precedes the power-switching function that modern GPUs have now. As best as I can figure it, a C2D with OC'd 4850 can be using at least 100W idle, which isn't perhaps terrible for the odd movie, but not great for a Plex (music) server running all evening. Even an ITX system would be a three-fold improvement. The Cubi is definitely an option.

Vicotnik - Hahaha, sounds like my bag. Consider me interested ;)

Abula - Yeah, I'm usually pretty thorough with my research and I did spot the RAM requirements. The ASUS site does state 'DDR3/DDR3L compatibility', suggesting that either/or would work fine. I shall read a up a bit more.

Given that we're increasingly prone to watching streamed content, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a 2015 edition Roku 2 and fire up the Amazon Prime account. Well, shit-the-bed, if it doesn't dish out a 1080p stream without batting an eyelid. By comparison, the Core 2 E8500 only just handles decoding a 720p browser stream with a very slight but perceptible stutter (if you're looking for it) and is basically maxed out.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads just now in terms of past and present usage of the system; I still have a fair bit of local content (DVD rips / downloads) that does require the moderate grunt of a PC/NUC/whatever, but with less and less of a need to go down that route in practice.

I might just hold fire for a bit, see how I get on with the Roku. If I end up with little need for playing back local video content, then all I might need is a streamer and a FLAC-friendly media server (i.e. really basic). So, if I'm honest, a Roku and Synology/Qnap NAS might ultimately work a treat - all the audio is handled by a dedicated streamer and amp. I'm sure I'll find some excuse to throw a diminutive-sized PC into the mix; otherwise, I wouldn't have a forum account on SPCR now would I? :mrgreen:

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Quinnbeast wrote:Abula - Yeah, I'm usually pretty thorough with my research and I did spot the RAM requirements. The ASUS site does state 'DDR3/DDR3L compatibility', suggesting that either/or would work fine. I shall read a up a bit more.
What i have read about ddr3 and skylake is that its supported, but you cant or shouldn't or its not advisable to run 1.5V stock voltage. But there have been low voltage on ddr3 for some time, i own some 1.25V gskill snippers, 1.35V crucial ballistix sport, and some old 1.25V Kingston Lovo, that said, its hard to say what ddr3 will work with it, so my recommendation is go with the QVL.