I'm currently in the process of building a new system based on the Skylake architecture.
The system will be used for what could be described as office work but will run some calculations and probably one VM in the background (although not constantly), although most of the time it will run under no significant load (and probably spend the night in a sleep mode or turned off).
The general specs are as follows:
- CPU: Either a Core i5 6600K (more likely) or a Core i7 6700K, OC'ed to around 4.2-4.4 GHz (as far as I can push it without significantly increasing the voltage, preferably not increasing the voltage at all). It will be cooled by a Noctuca NH-U12S (mostly for how quiet Noctua fans tend to run)
- GPU: None. It will run off of the integrated Intel's Graphics chip
- One SSD and one or two 3TB HDD(s)
- Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (without a window; bottom mounted PSU with vents so the fan could face down) with only the 2 supplied 120mm fans front and back).
Unfortunately, where I live (outside the US) the availability of PSUs is somewhat limited at the moment. The ones on my short list are:
- Seasonic G-360/G-450: Would be my first choice, but from what I've learned while researching the G series -- it is not necessarily quiet
- Corsair RM450: Semi-passive cooling seems like the ideal solution, but the fact the fan spin is triggered by load and not temperature seems less-than-ideal (almost gimmicky). Furthermore, both the Seasonic G series and the RM450 are priced a little too high compared to what they deliver, and in the case of the RM450 this makes me a little more uneasy because it is a decent unit, but not without some design flaws.
- Seasonic X-400FL 400W: In theory the best candidate, but I'm not a big fan (no pun intended) of passive cooling (I usually prefer a low RPM big fan spinning for the peace of mind) and a little concerned about coil whining
- SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold SSP-450RT: I understand this is the OEM version of the X series, but I can't find any reviews. It suppose to come with a low RPM larger (150mm) fan, Gold 80Plus ratings, but only 3-year warranty (being a business machine I like to pay a little more upfront and have longer warranties)
A modular/semi-modular design (especially with flat cables) could be a nice bonus, but not really a priority.
I'd appreciate any advice about the above or any other suggestions.