Is it normal that my Seasonic X-400 SS-400FL has coil whine?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

resistante

Is it normal that my Seasonic X-400 SS-400FL has coil whine?

Post by resistante » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 am

When I have my ear next to the back of the case (where the power cord goes) I hear loud coil whine. In this ear position it's difficult to distinguish Intel box cooler (even at its highest speed) from the PSU. In comparison to 90-120W laptop bricks it's louder and much more rich in detail, laptop bricks just buzz, but Seasonic plays a symphony of various different constantly fluctuating buzzing tones. Is this level of coil whine normal for this PSU or an indicator of approaching failure?

CA_Steve

Re: Is it normal that my Seasonic X-400 SS-400FL has coil wh

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:27 am

Is this a recent thing? Did you change any components? It tends to be an interaction between motherboard/settings and gfx card.

Seasonic went through a couple of generations of PSUs that seemed to be more susceptible to whine than others. This thread might help.

That said, I've never had an issue with their supplies.

Abula

Re: Is it normal that my Seasonic X-400 SS-400FL has coil wh

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:49 am

For some it has coil for others it doesn't, a lot has to do the amount of power and components you have connected. Mine i can only hear a slight electical noise if i put my ear right next to the PSU opening, 1mt away i cant hear anything.

In case you want to replace it, i just bought SilverStone Technology SST-NJ450-SXL Small Form Factor 100% Fanless Fully Modular SFX-L 450 W 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply, i coudlnt hear any electrical noise outside the case, loaded inside the case i cant hear anything either.