Zalman ZM400A-APF is too noisy!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

elitezoid

Zalman ZM400A-APF is too noisy!

Post by elitezoid » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:28 am

Hi,
I have just had to swap out a SilenX 400w PSU as it was producing loud coil whine in conjunction with my 9700 Pro graphics card.
So to replace it I've bought a Zalman ZM400A-APF (would have gone for a Seasonic, although I can't them in the UK), I know the Zalman is based on the same design as the SilenX, the good news is that I don't get any coil whine.
However the Zalman is just too loud, in fact after modding all other components in my PC, the Zalman is now the loudest single component :( On startup the noise level is very low, however the psu fan speed will always increase to a level that I'm not happy with, case temps are fine with 2 panaflo intakes and 1 panaflo exhaust, even with the side of the case off the Zalman psu fan speed will always get too loud!
Anyone else experience this, or has anyone modded it to use a quieter fan?

JohnMK

Post by JohnMK » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:40 am

This appears to be a problem with all Zalman power supplies, in fact I've experienced the same, which is why I've switched to Seasonic.

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:32 am

huh, I have exactly the same psu and my casetemp is 39 at the moment and it doesnt get louder then at start up ?!

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:32 am

You definitely have a problem with your case temperatures. Zalman is temperature controlled. Once the temperature of the air inside the case goes above certain limit (~35-40 C, I think) the PSU will kick up the fan making for a lot of noise.

You did not post your temperatures but I assume you checked them and they are fine. Now the temperature of the motherboard may be reported as low even when the intake air for the PSU is hot. This happens for 2 reasons: the temp sensor is imprecise and the temp at the sensor location is different from the temp at the top of the case. Or, another possibility, of course, is that the temp sensor in the PSU is off the scale...

It is very easy to check: you have to improve the airflow through the case. I don't know your configuration but, for example, you can take off the front bezel completely to improve the air intake if you use only exhaust fans. BTW, if your Zalman is the only fan in your system it will not work, it will be too loud. You need an exhaust fan to remove the hot air from the processor anyhow, this air should not be allowed to get into the PSU.

elitezoid

Post by elitezoid » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:53 pm

My temps while writing this reply (according to Sisoftware Sandra) are:

Temperature Sensor(s)
Board Temperature : 31.0°C / 87.8°F
CPU Temperature : 35.5°C / 95.9°F

My case is a Lian-Li PC 60, with x2 Panaflo intake's @5v and x1 Panaflo exhaust using a Zalman fan mate, probably set to around 7v. Also the air coming out from the case exhaust fan is only just luke warm, even with the side of the case off the PSU fan will still get too loud for my liking.
Is it possible to move the position of the heat sensor within the PSU, maybe it's incorrectly positioned?

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:05 pm

It is usually possible to find the temp sensor within the PSU and move it to a new position. However, opening the PSU will void your warranty.

Can you do a small test like this: take your PSU out of the box and place it on top of the case running wires through the hole at the back or into the side. Try making it in such a way (not always possible) that your PC is closed as usual but the PSU is running outside. This will show you how the PSU heats up by itself eliminating all heat sources from within the box. If you find out it is still too loud - then it is too loud. But I think there is a fair chance that you will find it works quieter then within the case. In that case, you will need to find a better way to provide the fresh air directly to your PSU.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:57 pm

I'm also using a Zalman ZM400A-APF in a Lian-Li PC 60. I've been thinking about creating a duct to the internal inlets of the PSU to the outside of the case. Either from a the top fan vent or via an open drive bay at the front of the case. Does this seem like a reasonable idea?

Another option is to flip the PSU so the inlets are at the top of the case and cut :shock: a new opening in the case top, then just a very small duct will be needed form PSU to this opeing. I'm a little apprehensive about cunning holes in the nice aluminium though.

ewat

Post by ewat » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:16 pm

all these psu's with 'temp control' sorta worry me as a watercooled user..

mainly because there is very little air being blown into the air (its sucked out by the rad in general)...is there any psu you guys recommend for a case that has close to zero air (apart from natural holes) being moved to the psup?

i was thinking of the zalman but reading this post makes me thik otherwise
the seasonic supersilent?

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:47 am

the_smell wrote:I'm also using a Zalman ZM400A-APF in a Lian-Li PC 60. I've been thinking about creating a duct to the internal inlets of the PSU to the outside of the case. Either from a the top fan vent or via an open drive bay at the front of the case. Does this seem like a reasonable idea?
Hold on, ZM400A-APF does NOT have any openings on the bottom. It only has vents at the back (or front, whatever) - opposite the fan. The ZM300A-APF has openings also at the bottom. Do we have different models or you meant something else?

Regarding providing the cold air to it - I took out the plastic covers from the 5" bays on one computer here in a desperate attempt to get some decent airfow without adding more fans. You know, it worked like a charm. Now the HDD placed in the 5" bay stays cool and the PSU stays quiet and generally the temps went down all over. I think I am beginning to like that idea of Apple to blow the air in sections simply from the front to the back without creating those complex paths from downunder to the topleft...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:27 am

Tigr wrote:Regarding providing the cold air to it - I took out the plastic covers from the 5" bays on one computer here in a desperate attempt to get some decent airfow without adding more fans. You know, it worked like a charm. Now the HDD placed in the 5" bay stays cool and the PSU stays quiet and generally the temps went down all over. I think I am beginning to like that idea of Apple to blow the air in sections simply from the front to the back without creating those complex paths from downunder to the topleft...
This is an approach that was described here in an article many months ago. Way back in January. I suggested this PSU cooling method to LeoQ (powergyoza), who implemented it successfully in his Quiet MP Dual-CPU Workstation -- the details are on page 2. I've used it on a number of systems: It works, keeps PSU fan speed down to min in most systems. But to ensure case cooling, a back panel exhaust fan is an absolute MUST.