need suggestion of xxwatt psu quiet and cheap for old beast

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

anaturelover

need suggestion of xxwatt psu quiet and cheap for old beast

Post by anaturelover » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:22 pm

HI
i beleive my psu stoped working
i search for a quiet psu since all my pc is silent designed
at the same time my rig is so old that i only will pay little.
i do not know how to check compatibilité with my rig so i ask help.
i read to at least take a 80 +
by the way i dont care if the model is old (if is saves money like a( old cadillac)cause my rig is old it just has to be new
?how many watt do i need ? how to determine that?

do you guys have suggestion of cheap yet silent new psu? i live in canada .

tx

antectp183
with p6t deluxe v2
I prefer my noctua u12p to be horizontal (cause I think I could put the aiflow vertical too)

I have this 3 g ddr3 but want to have more. I want 12g or 16g :
TR3X3G1600C8D - CORSAIR TR3X3G1600C8D XMS3 DOMINATOR 3GB DDR3 3X1GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 TRIPLE CHANNEL MEMORY KIT
I also have this:
896-P3-1255-AR - eVGA GTX 260 CORE 216 55NM 576MHZ 896MB 1.998GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E 2XDVI-I HDTV OUT

Abula

Re: need suggestion of xxwatt psu quiet and cheap for old beast

Post by Abula » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:17 pm

Consider in time to upgrade, Nehalem is not that efficient compared to whats available to day like Ryzen.
do you guys have suggestion of cheap yet silent new psu? i live in canada .
Its a bad time to buy PSU, with the chain of supply being somewhat broken due to COVID19, maybe powersupply design have been halted, so availability has demished a lot during the past 3 months, and prices have risen. If i were buying atm i would go with Seasonic FOCUS GM-650 SSR-650FM or if you want fully modular EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5 220-G5-0650-X1.

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:59 pm

hi
could you try to answer this plz
1how many watt do i really need.

since my rig is very old im not sure if i can justify to buy a gold at 175 more dollar

2 in the case on my antec case , can it use non modular and modular ?

3 what do you think about the items first showing bronze on this site pc part picker?
maybehttps://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kCtQzy/evga-br-500w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-br-0500-k1

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/po ... ice&page=1

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:34 am

You don't need much power for your current components. A 400W PSU should be plenty for that.
If you want a PSU that will continue to serve you even after a future upgrade you might consider going for a 500W rating (if you get a more power hungry video card).

Out of the ones listed I'd go for one from Be Quiet! with an 80+ Bronze rating. Those should be pretty quiet, but maybe not silent.

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:03 pm

ok tx

since my rig cannot really be upgraded , im only looking for a cheap psu that will do the job. i read that efficiency of psu is important cause im may cause the whole computer to heat. will i be ok i i keep the cheap power man psu or is it a risky move? i cant find a efficacy rating but found this get that thing out of your pc, and into your scrap pile
275W PSU by modern Standards...It's not great but before you waste money on other, equally shitty units, you can use that.

But remember: its a 275W PSU by modern Standards...

i have a 450w version, and it's really loud for a psu

also way too little on 12V, way too much on 3.3

iread this Non-modular

The PSU comes with ALL possible cables attached to it, ready to go.

This has the advantage of ensuring you're not going to need a cable.

The downside is that it's VERY messy for cable-management. Trying to find a place for all the excess cables can be a nightmare. Bad cable-management can mean the difference between good or bad airflow and consequently the operating temperature of your system.

Semi-modular

Only the essential cables come pre-attached. Usually this means, 24Pin ATX, a single PCIe, 8Pin CPU, and maybe one or two peripheral power cables (SATA/Molex). There's less clutter and it
is definitely much better than non-modular and a cheaper solution than going full modular.
how is it better?

Full Modular

Comes with no cables pre-attached. You only attach the ones you need.

It is more expensive, but also gives you more options, allowing you to only install the cables you need and keep airflow and cable management to a maximum. All newer generation HALE PSUs are fully modular.

do you have to buy cable separately?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:31 pm

If the primary goal is price, then get the be quiet! System Power U9 500 W for $70 CAN.
Here's a review.
Reasonable efficiency, fan won't ramp for your probable power use of well less than 300W. Downside is non-modular cables. So, you'll want to cable tie the unused ones and stuff em in a corner.

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:34 pm

Did you read my answer?
because i said that i already have the power man so cost is zero dollar. so it is cheaper than 70 dol
im just wondering if it is a safe choice since its efficacy is not mentionned , and ... it is kind of cheaper .

what is the worst that can happen if i use it?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:13 am

Well, your post was a little rambly, didn't actually say the PSU model, didn't list the CPU (so hard to gather what power use is), you spent some time explaining the current PSU's downsides, and it appeared you were looking for a replacement. So, I posted a low cost decent replacement.

Worst case: the psu kills your motherboard, CPU, gfx card etc.

Less worst case 1: under heavy loads you get continuous reboots with possible data corruption because the PSU didn't have enough 12V amperage.

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:30 am

CA_Steve wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:13 am
Well, your post was a little rambly, didn't actually say the PSU model, didn't list the CPU (so hard to gather what power use is), you spent some time explaining the current PSU's downsides, and it appeared you were looking for a replacement. So, I posted a low cost decent replacement.

Less worst case 1: under heavy loads you get continuous reboots with possible data corruption because the PSU didn't have enough 12V amperage.
why would it kill a mobo? not for having not enough power ?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:34 pm

If it's old enough to favor 3.3V rails and not favor 12V, then you have to ask:
- does it have over-voltage and transient protection?
- how much have the components derated? A PSU capacitor blowing out can do harm to the connected components.