Best PSU for modding

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

JEN

Best PSU for modding

Post by JEN » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:34 am

Anyone know which low cost PSU is best for modding with a panaflo L1A?

JEN

Post by JEN » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:04 am

Has noone had any experience with this?

Im just looking for a low cost PSU with heatsinks large enought be to cooled with a 7v L1A

Please help

drfinalfantasy
Friend of SPCR

Low cost??

Post by drfinalfantasy » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:11 am

The only respectable low cost PSU is Fortran from what I can think of.

Eric

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:45 am

JEN - I think you are the original JEN in the UK? If so, and you can get to a computer fair (where you can touch psus before you buy), then I genuinely recommend the current 350W non-PFC Deer (aka a whole heap of other names including Powerup, Mercury ...). You want the one with no PFC, all the holes across the back side, and heatsinks that look like the ones in the picture (as far as you can see them through the holes). And yes, before anyone else posts their 'horror' story about Deer psus, please can they check whether they are refering to OLD or NEW Deers :wink:

See the thread here for more pictures of what you are looking for, as well as my logic/reasons that I purchased. I had my Powerup in pieces a few days ago for a 'service' - I saw no signs of overheating and it runs my sig system 24/7, folding.

Yes, I fully appreciate a 'cheapo' psu is high risk compared to quality brands. I can only say I am still content with my risk (others may not be!). My most recent psu is a Seasonic which despite being the top end of the reputation scale (and justifiably so IMHO) is only in my second system, and my FSP is on the shelf, so my personal experience does range from some of the best to some of the worst (at least by reputation).

JEN

Post by JEN » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:55 am

OK, maybe its not a good idea then :)

Where did you that seasonic from in the UK?
I am now interested in 1 of the following as I did have a non-PFC but it when poof!!!:

1. Seasonic Super Tornado 300
2. Seasonic SS-300 non-PFC

Thanks for the help!

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:06 am

The only SeaSonic I know of in the UK are KoolnQuiet- thats where I got my 300FT. At 3.5* the price of my Powerup!

Main reasons it is not in my 'no 1 system' and my Powerup is:
- DC cables exit from 'wrong side' at the rear for neat power cable routing in my case. In particular AUX +12V cable not long enough and so would have to trail across the CPU heatsink.
- no AC female socket
- My case/cooling layout is centred around a 120mm front intake: adding a 120mm fan in the psu adds a fan but doesn't help me get any quieter. In my 2nd system the Seasonic fan is the only case fan.
- My no 1 system has an extra psu mounting plate (that enables the psu to be installed by sliding in from the outside of the case) that would need a small snip to fit the Seasonic.

All fairly trivial, but enough to make me carry on trying to score a point about my Powerup :D

ps - if you pay for postage or want to collect from Reading you can have my 300W FSP (complete with L1A rear mounted) in exchange for an L1A. AUX & Server power cables have been removed as well as fan control daughtercard! :?:

JEN

Post by JEN » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:16 am

Can you please tell me more about your powerup? I know you got it for about 10-15 Pounds. How noisy is it, did you mod it, and where did you get it from :)

Was it from a computer fair or somewhere else.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:42 am

In my first post above, the 1st sentence after the smiley is a link to another thread where I sing about my Powerup (£13). (Also folks like larrymoencurly, whose psu knowledge I genuinely respect, point out some of the shortcomings of Deer: as per my post there my Powerup is different in some slight ways to the one he criticises.) Otherwise paste this in your browser and scroll down:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3069

Got it at Bracknell Computer Fair in June: it is dead silent as I removed the fan together with the stamped grill :D . I also cut an 80mm fan sized hole in the rear of the case, desoldered the Server power cable (to reduce cable clutter) and put split-loom on the DC cables.

JEN

Post by JEN » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:03 am

You are obviously happy with the Powerup LC-B350ATX :)

Do you not know of any place where I can order it from? Its only £13 and has to be better than the 1 I have right now :D

Ultra noisy 400W Q-Tec dual fan !!!

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:21 am

I can check (about Sunday - I am on the road at the moment) if I have a receipt but am not sure - don't get your hopes up.

I know www.EBuyer.com does cheapo psus - but without touching them first even I would put a health warning on them! (Some of the ones at the Computer Fairs have really thin DC wires etc.) The other places you can touch stuff easily is Maplin & PCWorld, but they both charge stupid prices (£30 up) for what are IMHO no better (and probably worse) quality compared to my Powerup.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:27 pm

I think watford.co.uk do the HEC heroichi for £19 without a case or £22 with a case. The delivery is £7.50 per order (order with other items to save money), or if you live near there, you can pick one up and not pay for delivery.

Apparently the HEC has thermal control and is considered a fairly good unit for the price, low noise-ish unit. Search the forums under HEC for more info.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:08 pm

I personally wouldnt go near a deer power supply. Ive seen lots and lots of deer power supplies that died within a years use.

Seal

Post by Seal » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:42 am

q-tec 550W from ebuyer.com at £20, ive got it and modded the fans on it to 7V. its gold too!