Fortron Hi-Q vs FSP 350W PS

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tay
Friend of SPCR

Fortron Hi-Q vs FSP 350W PS

Post by tay » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:49 am

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 919&DEPA=0

I am debating between the two with price obviously being an important factor. Anyone used the Hi-Q drives? I know the FSP series have generally positive reviews here. They both have the same rails and efficiency with the only difference in the 120mm cooling fan, the 80mm one should not be significantly louder.

Comments? (Am I being too cheap hehe). I definitely cant afford something more expensive than the FSP-350PN. As well I am not sure a 300W PS is going to suffice for my next system which is where it will definitely go in 6 months (DoomIII)!!!

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:19 am

So it is either
Fortron ATX300GU 300W "HiQ Brand" at $22
or
Fortron ATX350GU 350W "HiQ Brand" at $20
or
Fortron FSP350-60PN 350W at $36
?

If you know that your next system will need more than 300W, I guess the first option there is out of the question. I have the "expensive" one myself, and I'm very happy with it. The other one sounds (to me) like a cheap, crap alternative. You usually get what you pay for.

The FSP350-60PN delivers more current for 3.3V and 5V, and has over voltage protection for 3.3V, 5V and 12V. For the ATX350GU, over voltage protection is "Not specified", which I guess means it has none (my guess might be wrong tho).

Do you know the noise level of this ATX350GU? The FSP350-60PN is specified to max 20dB during normal use, and I think it is very quiet myself.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:36 am

Thanks for the response, I had not noticed the overvoltage protection and better 3.3/5V rails on the FSP-350PN. I was most concerned with the 12V line because of the CPU/HD. Along with the promise of (increased??) quietness, I may "splurge" :wink: on the FSP-350PN.

Glad to hear you like yours.

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:05 pm

All FSP-made PSUs have protection against overvoltage, overcurrent, etc., and many use a Fairchild KA3511 chip on a small vertical circuit board that has overvoltage protection built in and makes it easy to add overcurrent protection. The main difference between the brands is that Hi-Q PSUs have sleeve bearing fans, but I don't know if they're temperature controlled or are run at full speed al the time. Just because an FSP PSU is labelled "Noise Killer" isn't a guarantee of the former, and I once saw a retail boxed 350W Sparkle brand FSP that was a Noise Killer, but that term referred only to its ball bearing fan, which always ran at full speed.

energy

Post by energy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:42 am

Yes, FSP's "noisekiller" is usually a joke as it has a linear voltage/temperature curve. This causes the fan to speed up to full speed within a few minutes of use. Some FSP noisekiller circuits have three stage speed control which is much better.