Poll - Antec TP380/430 and Cpu-load linked whine/buzz

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Do you get load whine/squeal under CPU Burn-In?

Yes
38%
Yes, but only with checking enabled
14%
No
48%

Total votes: 21

pleventi

Poll - Antec TP380/430 and Cpu-load linked whine/buzz

Post by pleventi » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:04 pm

If you have an Antec PSU, run this tool (CPU Burn-In) with error checking enabled, and let me know if you experience an audible squeal -- and if so, what your computer setup is. I can hear it clearly with my case closed! Note: If I run with error checking disabled, no squeal!

I am almost there. My machine is quiet enough for me, except for the buzzing/whining/squealing of my Antec PSU. It does this under CPU loading -- such as when scrolling in IE, or running certain apps.

My setup:

Antec Sonata w/TP380 (also tested with TP430)
Intel P4 2.8C
Asus P4C800E-Deluxe
OCZ 2x512 MB DDR400 RAM
Seagate 7200.7 SATA [also with WD800JB PATA HD]
MSI GeForce2 [also with ATI Radeon 9800 Pro]

NO SOUND CARD/SPEAKERS ATTACHED -- SOUND DEFINITELY IN THE PSU!

randalee

Post by randalee » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:43 pm

Antec TruePower 430 -- I get the high-pitched squeal either way I run it(error checking off OR on).

This is the one I did the 120mm fan mod to.

Oh yes - P4 2.4b, (2) 256 sticks of 333 DDR, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, Cuda IV and (yuck!) WD1200JB, Sony DVD+-RW, 48x CDRW, cheapo Firewire card, Video capture board. On an Intel 845PEBT2 motherboard.

Randy Clements
Salt Lake City, UT

dimva

Post by dimva » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:37 pm

Uhoh, I have the same exact problem.

Athlon64 3000+
MSI K8T Neo
1 gig corsair value select pc3200
Radeon 9800 Pro
Samsung SP1614C

Does everyone with a Truepower have this problem?

EDIT: I have the single-fan one that comes with the Sonata.
Last edited by dimva on Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DonP

Post by DonP » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:27 pm

Antec TruePower 380 (the two fan one.. not the 380S)

Hmm.. weird.
I think I get a similar squeel from other componants when I manipulate large images.. I always thought it was coming from the PSU but after hearing that I'm not sure the other noises were from the PSU.. but these definately were.

Lian-Li PC-60
P4b 2.26GHz
Gigabyte GA-8IHXP
512M PC1066
Crucial ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (maybe..probably)
and some other bits and bobs.. too many computers to remember the specs of just this one :)

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:22 pm

no problems here with a "good ol' fashioned" SL350!

bummer :wink:

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:40 pm

I HAD a 380S in my Sonata. I never tried running the "Cpu Burn-In" tool. I didn't need to run the tool to get my power supply to squeal. Man was it loud! I'm glad I'm not the only one that hears these sounds. For the first few minutes after turning my computer on it was fine, no squeal. But after a few minutes of warming up it would make this high pitched squeal that varied in pitch for several seconds before it settled into that annoying constant squeal that would probably drive a bat... well, batty! I thought... hey, this it supposed to be a "quiet" case and power supply... mine must be defective. So I called up Antec and they sent me a replacement power supply. Well the "new" power supply squealed also. Although maybe just a little bit less. But, while cruising the net and using the scroll wheel on my mouse the power supply would make the squeal kind of buzz. Great... now I have a sound to go along with scrolling. I sent the replacement supply back and kept the original one. I figured that the supplies were not defective per se, but that they were all probably that way. So I gave up on the Antec supplies and bought a Nexus NX-3000. Peace and quiet at last.

Antec Sonata with Nexus NX-3000 P/S & 2 120mm Papst 4412FGL fans
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD XP2500 Barton cooled by Thermaright SLK900A & 80mm Panaflo L1J
512M OCZ PC3200 EL CAS2
Samsung SP0812C
Saphire Radeon 9800Pro 128 cooled by Zalman ZM80C-HP
Plextor PX-708A
Samsung floppy
Actiontec modem (I know... DSL is not available here yet!)
Sunbeam Rheobus

dimva

Post by dimva » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:58 am

Scott wrote:So I called up Antec and they sent me a replacement power supply.
Did they send you the new one first? Did you have to send back the old one? Complete an RMA form? I'm wondering about the details of this. Should I bother trying this or will it be a waste of my time and money?

DG

Post by DG » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:04 pm

Mine too is squeeling. I have a 430 TP....:(

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:59 pm

dimva wrote:
Did they send you the new one first? Did you have to send back the old one? Complete an RMA form? I'm wondering about the details of this. Should I bother trying this or will it be a waste of my time and money?
Antec customer service was actually very good. I didn't have to fill out any RMA forms. I think I called 1-800-22ANTEC. I don't remember right now.

Under warranty you can:

A) Send in you old supply and they will send you a replacement. All you pay for is the shipping to send in your supply and you have to find a box to ship it in.

B) Or do what I did so that my computer wasn't down while waiting for the new supply. Have a replacement sent to you billed to your credit card. $90, I think. Ouch! After you return your old supply (In the box the replacement came in.) they will apply a credit to your account. All you are out is the return shipping.

Watch out though. My original supply was the newest version with the SATA connectors and the first supply that they sent me was an older one without the SATA connectors. Be sure to specifically ask for one with the SATA connectors if that is what you are replacing.

Now for the $25,000 question. Should you bother? Based upon my experience... no. But who knows? Maybe you'll get one that doesn't squeal. Although based upon what I'm reading in this thread, that doesn't look too likely. If you do bother, I'd be interested in hearing (no pun intended) the results.

Good luck

Putz

Post by Putz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:01 pm

No squealing for me. At least, none that I can detect. I guess I got lucky with this one, from the sounds of it.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:17 pm

no squeal...

config in sig.

dimva

Post by dimva » Wed May 19, 2004 1:20 pm

Scott wrote:Antec customer service was actually very good. I didn't have to fill out any RMA forms. I think I called 1-800-22ANTEC. I don't remember right now.
I don't know what you're talking about. No matter which number I call them (even the non-tollfree ones), they always tell me to leave a message and "they'll get back to me". Which they don't.

I guess I'll be sending them an e-mail, but their customer support is far from "very good". In fact, it's actually the worst I've seen. I'd rather be forced to wait in a queue, because that way at least I'd get to talk to someone someday!

UPDATE: I finally got to talk to someone! Once you get past that part, the RMA service is very good. :)

DraGoNsLaYeR

Post by DraGoNsLaYeR » Thu May 20, 2004 4:45 pm

I always have a whiny squeeling TP430 load or no load on cpu. I was wondering if the fan was doing this? If I tried to get it replaced do I have a chance at getting a non squeeling one?

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sun May 23, 2004 8:19 am

I think I screwed up. I wanted to see the results of the poll, so I clicked on the magic button. I've just completed the test on my old machine, there was no buzzing with or without error checking. I cannot post this result :(

Ah well, at least the PSU is OK ;)

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Sun May 23, 2004 1:14 pm

my antec 380tp psu is fine; it's modded with a panaflo L1A and is ducted; possibly the cool air helps it from not whining?

aaltomar

Post by aaltomar » Mon May 24, 2004 3:27 am

Antec Sonata 380w psu, whine, sqeek, high pitched sound, you name it. Terrible. Changed to a low noise Forton and no whine until I added a second hdd. Now it too is starting to whine... :evil:

My SFF psu gave up and I temporarily replaced it with my old Antec power supple, and no whine. Must be the lower power requirements.

dimva

Post by dimva » Fri May 28, 2004 7:55 pm

I just got my new Antec TP380 through the RMA and it's dead on arrival!

Also, even though I specifically told them to send me the SATA version, they didn't! Amazing. I wonder how they stay in business... maybe their products are very good? (even though they aren't, at least for me :? )

I really hate bashing any company, but this is the worst service I've received since the dot-com crash. Or maybe I'm just really unlucky. But I still have to pay return shipping on a DOA RMA. :roll: