Disappointed :(

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

spirit

Disappointed :(

Post by spirit » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:18 pm

On the way to a slient pc i bought a Fortron 350-60PN (Maplin code A07BF) at the same time i bought a Sunbeam Fan Controller.

Upon hooking up the Fortron i found it to be quiet, quieter than my generic 350W psu, except when i put the system under load the fan ramped up and was equally as loud as the generic psu with 80mm fan.

I hooked it up the the sunbeam to make sure the fan stays the same speed no matter what. It was OK.
Then just out of curiousity i hooked up the generic psu to the sunbeam and the fan was completly slient not quiet or very quiet it was slient! ( had it running at about 5V) you guys still with me? :wink:

I plugged in the fortron again and started hearing clicking noises and the wind noise (even at ~4V) it was ...far from even quiet YATE LOON fan btw
I removed the fan grill in no avail.

I don't know what to do! i've had the fortron for a few weeks so i can't take it back...i want to use my slient generic psu but the voltages are much better on the forton so i'm pretty much stuck with it.

I'm considering buying a Panaflo 120mm fan but i can't justify the cost of it...would this make much difference compared with the stupid yate loon 120mm fan?

Thank you

einolu

Post by einolu » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:10 pm

yes, I have EXACLTY the same problem, the fan gets way too loud under any load or just when my temps go up... Because of a undervolted CPU fan, my temps are around 46 C (Athlon 2400xp at 199x10) at the socket and at around this temp, the fan starts getting loud... I opened up the fortron just to see what im dealing with and found that I cant find any temp sensor and that the fan is soldered to the board :(. What should I DO????

~EO

ps: sometimes I hear ticking noises too... :(

einolu

Post by einolu » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:52 pm

plz help us! isnt there a easy way of preventing the PSU fan of speeding up?

~EO

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:22 pm

i think the best course of action would be to switch the fan for a quieter one. popular ones seem to be the papst 120mm low speed and the evercool aluminium 120mm. (assuming this is a 120mm fan psu, i'm not sure)

the panaflo would most porbably not fit since it's a 38mm thickness fan. the papst and evercool are 25mm.

einolu

Post by einolu » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:12 am

is there any easy way of diconnecting the stock fan from the temp monitor, would cutting some wires be dangarous?

~EO

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:31 am

would cutting some wires be dangarous?
I can't see how it would be dangerous unless you let the wire short something out (the maximum voltage anywhere near the fan will be 12v which is pretty harmless). The main risk you're running is that the fan will default to running at high speed.
This of course assumes you're sure which wires to cut - cutting random wires inside a PSU strikes me as a bad idea!

einolu

Post by einolu » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:34 am

I had a idea of cutting the black and red wires and connecting them to the 5 V line, would this be possible?

~EO

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:22 am

I don't think you will have any problem to replace the PSU fan if you are up to cutting wires and fixing them to the new fan or if you put the new fan to a fixed voltage.
I do advice you to firmly fix wires since you defenatly don't want any loose ends shorting things out in the PSU. Soldering is advicable to attach cables for good. Shrinkwrap is great for protecting any bare leads that you must have.

You might have a hard time to put in a Panaflo 120mm fan since that fan is 38mm thick, so check the space in the PSU before ordering.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:09 pm

Please read this thread:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9032

I just updated it with some information, specifically for the FSP350.

Uwackme

hmmm

Post by Uwackme » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:22 am

When I was using this PS, I cut the wires from the fan, and soldered them directly to the 5V and 12V lugs...where the wire bundles solder on...for 7V operation and it was very quiet. Fast enough to cool under load, but not full speed.

Im going to look at that SuperFlower now.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:59 pm

Check out the mod I did on my Fortron right here.

-Ed