Silentmaxx silent PSU enough for this?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Lord09

Silentmaxx silent PSU enough for this?

Post by Lord09 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:23 pm

Hello all,

I'll admit I'm a PSU noob, so please forgive the ignorance. I'm currently reading up as much as I can, but I just ordered a new system and want to order a new PSU as well.

This is what I want to stick in the new system:

2.4C P4
4 sticks of PC3200
2 36GB Raptors
1 250GB Maxtor DM9
1 FX5800 Ultra
1 SATA 2 port raid card
2 120 mm fans
1 Zalman Fan Controller
1 Swiftech MCP600 ( 12V Pump )

I have no idea how to calculate how much my system will draw at idle or full load. Does anyone know of a quick tutorial where I can check?

Just from looking at the above, it seems that my system will overwhelm the silent PSU, since its actual rating is much lower.

The P4 in my old system OC'd to 3.5 water stable, so I'd like to approach that if possible. Does anyone know how to calculate how much power the P4 will require? It seems that the 12V rail is very important, anyone know how much power it should provide for a overclocked system?

Thanks all,

Daniel

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:12 pm

Hmm 3 HD's and a water pump... I think that would be pushing it.
I have the 350w version and it works fine for my setup. But then I only have one HD and no pump.

Considering your specs, and that you want to overclock, I would say that to be safe, count the 350w out. But there is still the new 420w model. It has a fan, but can be set you only turn on when needed.
http://silentmaxx.net/catalog/ps_prosilence_420cpcs.php