Maxtor Ultra 160GB or Hitachi 200GB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

srturner47

Maxtor Ultra 160GB or Hitachi 200GB

Post by srturner47 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:57 am

I have been looking for a hard drive for a while now, and I have narrowed it down to two drives that are on sale and fit my budget. I am most concerned about that terrible high pitched noise that my drive makes and the idle noise (I am currently using an older model maxtor, and the seek noise does not bother me, as it is sporadic, I just want to be able to sleep, or read a book in silence!). It looks like the Maxtor is a better fit for me, as it is only rated at 2.7 bel idle, and the FDB should eliminate any high pitched whine, plus with AAM people say it is ok...but I am hesitant as most people on this board don't like Maxtors, despite their new FDB models. Is this just because of seek noise? I have also read that the Hitachi has a high pitched whine, which is exactly what I am trying to get rid of....The Hitachi costs $25 more, is it worth it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

erik98225

Post by erik98225 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:08 pm

but I am hesitant as most people on this board don't like Maxtors, despite their new FDB models. Is this just because of seek noise?
Call me old-school, but I want seek noise. It makes the computer feel faster, because it reminds me that it's actually working. 8)

It's the constant, grating YAAAAAAAAAANGGGGGGG of ball-bearing 7200 drives that makes me crazy.

I have also read that the Hitachi has a high pitched whine, which is exactly what I am trying to get rid of....
I've installed Hitachis in 3 different systems (including the one I'm using right now).

They are fluid bearing and don't have anything like a "high pitched whine". What they do have is an "AIEEEEEEE" sound that happens for about 1 second every 20 minutes. This, I am told, is the drive recalibrating the heads to prevent "75GXP syndrome".

The Hitachi costs $25 more, is it worth it?
It's the fastest IDE drive currently available. I'd say it's worth it, with one caveat.

They are very quiet most of the time, but the calibration noise might be annoying if you're trying to fall asleep. If this is for a bedroom computer that will be left on, don't get the Hitachi.

srturner47

Post by srturner47 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:00 pm

It is not for my bedroom, but I can hear the high pitched whine in my bedroom right now it is so loud!!! Terrible. Alright, maybe I will get the Hitachi...but I think I will sleep on it for a few days. I didn't realize that the Hitachi had better performance than the Maxtor, in fact, I thought it was the other way around, so that is good to know.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:37 pm

Do a search for this:

SP1614N

-Ed

srturner47

Post by srturner47 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:21 am

I am aware that the Samsung is a better hard drive than either the Maxtor or the Hitachi according to most reviews, but unfortunately, Hitachi and Maxtor are the ones with the big sales where I live. I will save over $100 by choosing one of these drives. Plus, I have a gift certificate for Fry's Electronics, and they do not even carry Samsung drives, so that's more money down the drain from not using the gift ceritificate. Right now, if I buy the Hitachi it will cost $200-$90MIR-$60GC=$50, and if I buy the maxtor it will cost me $89-$60GC=$29. If I buy a samsung, I will have to pay retail at worst, or order from someplace like newegg, where it is still well over $100, they have a bad reputation, and it will be OEM not retail boxed.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:04 am

In that case I would go with the 7K250; not counting the guaranteed failure of Deathstars, I personally have more faith in the IBM/Hitachi drives (personal, historical experience). I've had no IBM drives, except for my pair of 75GXPs, go bye-bye on me. As for Maxtor, one of the Diamond MAX Plus 9 6Y060L0 I own (of four) went caput. Lucky for me, it was still covered by 3 years warranty, but that drive is closest to their current technology, so that's not a good sign.

Anyway, the Hitachi is quieter than the Maxtor for seeks. As for idle, they're both pretty decent (no Samsung, but hey...that's a lot of money we're talking, here).

If by any chance you can find one of the new WD2500PB drives, give them a look. I hear they're a good deal quieter (they use FDB motors) than previous Caviars (which are, what, only the moist incredibly terribly screechy da#$ drives...ever); although I'd still say, "audition," them if you can before settling with them. They should be plenty reliable though.

BTW, as for performance, the Maxtor is optimized for A/V purposes, while the Hitachi is optimized, well, for everything :lol:. I remember how wonderfully my 75GXPs performed (probably still be pretty brisk by today's measure for 40GB or under drives). Don't get me wrong; the Maxtors are pretty fast, but those 7K250 are some of the angriest 7200rpm drives I've ever seen in benchmarks (particularly IOmeter). Hitachi is faster and has lower seek noise; the only caveat is the periodical drive chirp that people are talking about...

"Audition," a Hitachi if you can before purchase.

-Ed

*Edit* Replaced U with you and fixed some typoes.

srturner47

Post by srturner47 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:29 pm

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll give the Hitachi a try... I'll see whether they will let me hear it before I buy it. Thanks!

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:50 pm

You're welcome, and good luck!

If you get a chance, come back and let us know how things turn out! :D

-Ed

srturner47

Post by srturner47 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:10 am

WOW! Thanks for the advice! I ended up buying a 160GB Hitachi, because it was a little cheaper than the 200GB. This Hitachi drive is great. I can't believe how much faster and quiter it is compared to my maxtor diamondmax plus 60 7200 drive! Sisoft reports that I get 18000 kb/s with my maxtor, and 38000 kb/s with the Hitachi! I can't hear a thing from my new drive, and after using it for two days, I still haven't noticed this reset noise everyone talks about. Granted, I do not have a quiet PC, but the only thing I hear from this drive is the occasional seek noise, and I barely ever even hear that. My old maxtor schreeches and vibrates like a freight train compared to this. Plus, this drive must be running cooler, because my cpu temp dropped 2-3 degrees!

I was right that 75-80% of my computer's noise comes from my old hard drive. However, the bad news is, once it is gone, the powersupply and cpufan seem awfully loud now... Oh well, I can't hear my computer from my bedroom now (next room), so that is a great start. Plus, my old hard drive was a real bottleneck for my system. I am pleased. Thanks for all your help. Maybe someday I will get a new PSU and cpufan. If so, I know where to ask questions! Thanks for your help.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:17 am

srturner47 wrote:However, the bad news is, once it is gone, the powersupply and cpufan seem awfully loud now...
Mwuhahhahaaa! :twisted: And so it goes!

Wait until you start hearing your monitor. ;)

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:22 am

Hehe; glad we could be of service. Enjoy that new drive! :D

-Ed