Samsungs: How much Idle High Frequency Noise??

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hoxbox

Samsungs: How much Idle High Frequency Noise??

Post by hoxbox » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:05 pm

To those that have the touted Samsungs. How much idle high frequency noise can you hear (like how far away does it dissapear)? If used please specify your suspension method.

On my WD and Maxtor HDs I've gone through Aphros syspension method but too much idle high freq noise and now I got them stuffed in a tupplewear box with packing penuts the high freq is gone but now I can hear the seak noise. :(

Thanks
Tom

mrk22

Re: Samsungs: How much Idle High Frequency Noise??

Post by mrk22 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:11 pm

hoxbox wrote:To those that have the touted Samsungs. How much idle high frequency noise can you hear (like how far away does it dissapear)?
I think this highlights one of the down falls of the terminology that's being used to describe hard drive accoustic properties. For me, the most irritating hard drive noise is the high pitch wine. I read posts that claim X drive is quiet or Y drive is loud. That doesn't help so much.

I have a Barracuda IV and the truth is it's particularly loud...when it's seeking. I've set the AAM to maximum performance because the seek sounds don't bother me. The high pitch whine is, however, inaudible millimeters away from the drive and that's why I like it so much.

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:41 am

mmm, couldn't agree more here, the spin noise is worse than the seek noise. Would like to hear from someone here how the 7200.7's measure up against Samsungs in that respect.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:45 am

To those that have the touted Samsungs. How much idle high frequency noise can you hear (like how far away does it dissapear)? If used please specify your suspension method.
None to speak of, even w/o suspension. This is with a total of 7~8 samples, 80G mostly, but also 120s and a 160. Of course, your HF sensitivity could be better than mine, but the reality is that the actual frequency of that HF whine is generally not that high. Not much over 10KHz, is my guess. So even if you don't have extended HF hearing, most people can hear HDD whine.
I think this highlights one of the down falls of the terminology that's being used to describe hard drive accoustic properties. For me, the most irritating hard drive noise is the high pitch wine. I read posts that claim X drive is quiet or Y drive is loud. That doesn't help so much.
One reason to read SPCR's HDD reviews.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:26 am

The high frequency whine that I've heard on the 3 or 4 SP80's that I've worked with is slightly lower pitched than the whine from the many, many Barracuda IVs that I've worked with. It actually seems quieter than the Barracuda IVs but that may be some sort of psycho-acoustic illusion due to the lower frequency of it.

hoxbox

Post by hoxbox » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:09 pm

Great thanks guys! I now have a 160g Samsung from newegg on the way. Will EBay my old HDs.

kesv

Re: Samsungs: How much Idle High Frequency Noise??

Post by kesv » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:57 am

hoxbox wrote:To those that have the touted Samsungs. How much idle high frequency noise can you hear (like how far away does it dissapear)? If used please specify your suspension method.
The high frequency humm disappears about 10cm away. Actually I can hardly hear it at all outside my case which has noise absorbsion material in it. My case is an Antec 3700AMB and I used the regular mounting grommets.

Some people have reported noisy Samsungs so there might be some bad apples out there. The two Samsungs I've seen are fine, but if you happen to receive a noisy individual try to get it replaced.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:13 am

I've owned a single-platter, single-head 7200.7 (ST340014A) and its high frequency whine is just barely audible in wide open space at up to four feet away (only two feet away when inside my computer case), but the 160GB dual-platter Samsung SP1614N I own makes zero high frequency noise at any range; it does, however, exhibit a windy whir sound like there's a minihurricane spinning iside the drive; that too is not particularly audible in wide open space any more than maybe five feet away, but its low frequency nature makes it far less intrusive.

-Ed

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:55 pm

I have just posted this in the thread I started but I thought it would also be of interest here...

http://storagereview.com/articles/20040 ... 14N_1.html