What to do with Whiny Western Dig?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AndrewC

What to do with Whiny Western Dig?

Post by AndrewC » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:29 pm

I've got a friend with the above stated drive and it has one heck of a whine and seek noise. Would mounting it in something like a NoVibesIII help any since it's hard mounted at the moment.

When I suggested just buying a new drive he was up for that, but wanted to be a SATA drive for less than $100.

I was looking at a Seagate 7002.7 80GB with 8MB buffer, a similar Maxtor 9+, or a Hitachi 7K250. Would prefer a Samsung 80 GB model but it's not at newegg.

Thanks

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:37 pm

Samsung SpinPoint SP1213C at ZipZoomFly (the store formerly known as GoogleGear) for $102, includes free 2-day shipping.

The SP1614C is $120.50 there, also includes free 2-day shipping.

-Ed

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:58 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I talked to my friend and he said that he was looking at closer to $80. He also said that he would go with a PATA if the performance was very very similar. Wish that Samsung would ship the 80GB models to the US.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:16 am

There can be a lot of difference between HDD's that are exactly the same type. I have had a few WD 120Gb drives that were all meant to be identical. Some had a lot of vibration, others had a lot more whine than others.

If you think that your mates WD is louder than other drives of a similar type, just RMA it to them. One of the great benefits of WD RMA system is that you never get your original drive back. That means if you just happened to get a bad one, you are almost guaranteed to get it fixed.

I have had RMA experience with other drive manufacturers. If they think the drive you sent back was good enough, they send it back to you - and sometimes they charge you for this "privilege".

Of course, never getting the original drive back means that you need to backup EVERYTHING before you send it to them - but of course you will have already done this as a matter of routine ;)

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:27 am

always gald to provide amusements (even if it is at my own expense) 8)

alternate meaning - Luminous - KniG of typos

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:38 am

Thanks. Radeonman, do you have your drive suspended in your System 1? Just wanted to know what your experience with the vibration from Samsung drives have been.

samwc912

Post by samwc912 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:30 am

I've got a friend with the above stated drive and it has one heck of a whine and seek noise. Would mounting it in something like a NoVibesIII help any since it's hard mounted at the moment.
As far as the WD is concerned, mounting it or suspending it won't do any good. Suspending it would make it even worse, because then the high pitch whine will stick out even more. Because IMO the vibration noise is less annoying and somewhat drowns out the high pitch whine.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:50 pm

samwc912 wrote:As far as the WD is concerned, mounting it or suspending it won't do any good.
I disagree. A couple of Sorbothane strips under my 800JB made it nearly inaudible outside my damped case. Sure doesn't hurt to try a little foam under the drive on the case floor to see what you get.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:07 pm

I agree with samwc; every little bit helps with those attrocious pieces of sh...I mean those very popular drives... :roll:

And I should know; I have had extensive personal experience most recently with these WD drives:

WD200BB (two samples)
WD400BB (four samples)
WD400JB (one sample)
WD800BB (one sample)

I have not had the privilege to use any of the new FDB Caviars or Raptors, so I cannot (perhaps quite fortunately) speak for them.

For a little more on that matter, just check here.

-Ed