slk3700 suspension mod

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

clive r
Friend of SPCR

slk3700 suspension mod

Post by clive r » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:06 pm

Here’s my take on hard drive suspension, a modified SLK3700AMB drive cage based on Aphonos’ method. The default Antec setup while good doesn’t seem able to tame the noise of the Barracuda completely.

I cut out four strips in the sides of the cage and drilled holes to take shock cord stretched tightly through rubber grommets. The drives are then attached to the cord with plastic p clips and standard screws. This is more secure than it looks, and I figured the worst that could happen is that everything ends up at the bottom.

The drives are completely free to float and no vibration can reach the case. Airflow is maintained and as I write this the Barracuda is at 30 degrees and inaudible. There is room for up to four drives.

I’ve since added some marks to the sides of the cage to assist with levelling. I also found it was important to “dress” the cables, i.e. to minimise any tension after fitting. Anyone who has set up a suspended chassis turntable will know what I mean.

For shipping some small pieces of foam would secure the drives or the whole cage can be removed.

This technique does need clearance between the drives and the cage, but should work with any case that uses grommets.

And as a friend recently pointed out, a key benefit of suspending your hard drive is that you can kick your computer without losing data. Must try that some time..

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:30 pm

Nice adaptation!

Regarding transporting your computer, it looks like your current setup would still allow you to hard mount the drives in the top or bottom slots of the cage if you needed to move your computer--rather than trying to stuff foam in to keep the drive from moving.

If I were you, I would consider putting a knot in your bungee cord just below the cable clamps or you will end up wtih your drive at the bottom of the cage--from slowly vibrating itself down your cord.

clive r
Friend of SPCR

Post by clive r » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:50 am

Aphonos,

Yes, I left the top and bottom slots unmodified in case I fouled up, ahem, I mean for transportation purposes.

I hear what you say about the drives slipping down. Nothing has moved yet but will definitely keep an eye on it. Getting all those knots lined up could be a serious business!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:10 am

Won't that drive bang against the sides of the drive cage in transit?

clive r
Friend of SPCR

Post by clive r » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:28 am

Trip

Almost certainly. As it happens it's unlikely to be going anywhere in the near future, which is just as well given the weight of the thing. If it were I'd wedge some foam down the sides, or use the regular mountings as Aphonos pointed out.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:01 pm

it still looks very good - no bad vibrations is all that matters.

Metaluna

Post by Metaluna » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:45 pm

Perhaps you could put some kind of a clamp underneath each of the four suspension points...something with teeth that would bite into the cable and keep the drive from sliding -- like an alligator clip only neater looking. This would still allow you to adjust the height of the clamp, unlike knots which would be practically impossible to get lined up nicely I think.

I was thinking of trying something similar with my 3700AMB. It seems like you should be able to string the bungee cords horizontally through the existing grommet holes, then, instead of attaching the plastic cable clamps to the sides of the drives, screw them in to the underside holes, so that the drives sit on top of the bungee cords. Hopefully this can be done with no cutting required on the bracket, and the drives would only be able to slide sideways, which might be mitigated if you leave a little slack in the cords so that each drive is sitting at the bottom of a potential well, thus tending to center itself. Sounds good on paper but I'll have to experiment with it to see if the underside mounting holes will line up nicely with the cords and leave the drives sitting level. Either that or I'll just sit them on sorbothane :).

Jim Byram
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jim Byram » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:53 pm

aphonos wrote:If I were you, I would consider putting a knot in your bungee cord just below the cable clamps or you will end up wtih your drive at the bottom of the cage--from slowly vibrating itself down your cord.
Once the drive(s) are leveled, how about inserting a pin or retainer clip through the bungee cords against the bottom of each plastic clip. That'll eliminate the possibility of slippage and should do no damage to the cords or their effectiveness.

clive r
Friend of SPCR

Post by clive r » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:27 am

I've had two drives in this setup for a couple of months now and slippage hasn't been an issue yet. I put marks on the cage for levelling so it would show. I was surprised myself at how secure it feels, I obviously hit on the right combination of cord/clip.
A smaller diameter clip under the existing ones would give the extra security if it ever became a worry.

Metaluna, Clamping the drives underneath sounds like a good idea, perhaps just a bit of foam either side would centre them?