How can I make my PX-708A silent?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Goodguy

How can I make my PX-708A silent?

Post by Goodguy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:38 pm

My Plextor PX-708A is spinning like a maniac during DVD-video playback.
How can I make it spin slower?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:22 pm

Goodguy...

WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

If you get/have ahead Nero Burning ROM, it includes a software utility called Nero CD/DVD Speed. With it, you can control the speed that the drive spins at; reduce the setting in it when you watch DVDs and voila; movie in silence!

-Ed

Goodguy

Post by Goodguy » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:26 pm

Thanks Edward!
Using Nero DriveSpeed does the trick. Reduces the maximum spin down to 4X. Still I think it could be even more silent.

Further on I think its pathetic that Plextools cant do the same thing. Using Plextools I can slow down playback of audio CDs, but when playing DVD-video Plextools cannot slow it down.

I'm quite dissappointed with Plextor PX-708A. For the money paid, I expected a lot more.

Goodguy

Post by Goodguy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:39 pm

I'd like to report my progress in silent playback of DVD-video and audio-CD using Plextor PX-708A.

DVD-video.
Doing futher tests I found that PX-708A will stick to 2X during playback of comercial DVD-video.
But before playing make sure to close down Plextools and Nero Drivespeed. Especially Plextools will make the drive spin a lot if active when playing DVD-video. Nero Drivespeed makes a good job and keeps the spinning to 4X, but without it 2X can be reached.

Audio-CD.
For silent playback of audio-CDs though, Plextools can be used to set the CD read speed to 4X. The setting will be stored to the drive.
When using Media Player the drive sticks to 4X, and it works fine and silent.
But when using Winamp (5.01) the drive always spins up to 40X between each song! Nero Drivespeed could not stop this behaviour as well. I didn't try any other versions of Winamp, maybe it works with other versions.

Thanks