External 5.25" drive caddy

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mynci
Friend of SPCR

External 5.25" drive caddy

Post by mynci » Sun May 09, 2004 11:32 am

hi, not been active here for a while, work has been pileing up and to be honest my pc is running great, at the right volume:), but since i need some more of that quite related advice, i thought of only one place to ask.

i am in the market for a new dvd writer, for a few reasons i would like an external usb2/firewire unit. i am settled on the drive i want (i dont need it to be silent, just good at burning, as i can cope with 10mins of noise when i need to knock out a copy) the pioneer 107, 8x jobbie.

so i need a caddy. i think this route will end up cheaper in the long run, i can get the oem drive for ~£60 and would hope to get a caddy for less than £40.
the only problem is that all the caddies i have found seem to have internal psu's with a dreaded 40mm fan.
eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 78317&rd=1

im sure there must be some availible with a power brick type psu, rather than taking an ac input. or (and i doubt this is possible) getting one that is host powered.

i am not fussed whether its usb2 and firewire or just usb2.

any suggestions?

many thanks
mynci

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun May 09, 2004 2:25 pm

I had the same challenge while looking for an extermal opt. drive for the lab a while ago: They all appear to have that 40mm fan. Most of the ones I found had a little external wall wart. The transformer I could live with (but be wary of badly designed DC jacks that short during insertion while the wall wart is plugged in). The fan? No way.

I got one with a fan and took it apart to disconnect the fan. Never did remove it; have no issues with overheating of any kind.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun May 09, 2004 2:27 pm

Firewire is faster in real world transfer speed than USB 2.0 plus it uses virtually no CPU. That's all I can contribute to this discussion.

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Sun May 09, 2004 4:31 pm

well, you spend ages without a post, make a demand and then get two of the most respected voices in the community. i knew there was a reson i loved this place :)

well it looks as if (in true spcr style) a mod is the only way to go. ill pick up a unit with an internal psu and (if it needs it) add a better fan, but for a 40W psu (as mike says) i suspect it isnt needed.

thank you very much again, as soon as possible i will try to spend more time here, helping where i can, but i am sure i am out of date with current levels of quite.

thanks a again.

mynci.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon May 10, 2004 5:07 am

mynci wrote:well, you spend ages without a post, make a demand and then get two of the most respected voices in the community. i knew there was a reson i loved this place :)
We're here to serve you, O sahib! And we're happy doing it. :)

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Mon May 10, 2004 10:45 am

mynci - I am not sure I understood correctly what you are after but I hope the following link may be of some help ...

USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor (Promotion ends on 15.05.2004)

FAQs for the above can be found here

IdontexistM8

Re: External 5.25" drive caddy

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed May 12, 2004 4:03 pm

mynci wrote:i am in the market for a new dvd writer, for a few reasons i would like an external usb2/firewire unit. i am settled on the drive i want (i dont need it to be silent, just good at burning, as i can cope with 10mins of noise when i need to knock out a copy) the pioneer 107, 8x jobbie.

so i need a caddy. i think this route will end up cheaper in the long run, i can get the oem drive for ~£60 and would hope to get a caddy for less than £40.
the only problem is that all the caddies i have found seem to have internal psu's with a dreaded 40mm fan.
eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 78317&rd=1

im sure there must be some availible with a power brick type psu, rather than taking an ac input. or (and i doubt this is possible) getting one that is host powered.

i am not fussed whether its usb2 and firewire or just usb2.

any suggestions?

many thanks
mynci
I bought a 5.25 enclosure without a fan but with brick...(still haven't actually put a DVD writer in it yet!).

It's brand new and I'm willing to sell it to you if the price is right....

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Thu May 27, 2004 2:04 pm

mahkum2: for some reason i didnt get an email about your post. i did however buy this exact unit albeit at a much better price from www.ebuyer.com.

i have to say im very pleased with it, it installed very easily and is running my pioneer 107 dvdrw with no problems, havent tried an 8X burn yet (no media) but i think the max current from the power block shoudl JUST be enough.

mikec: this would certainly work as a solution for a fanless external optical drive for the lab.

now if only i oculd find an exclosure to put this in. i need something about 3 inches deeper than a standard optical drive. perhaps it will be my summer bulding project.

as an aside, does anyone know if these type of power bricks can be bought seperately? just thinging if i bought enough of them i could make a silent psu.
just a thought.

//edit: quoted wrong name