ASUS show "quiet" SATA CD-Burner!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Strand

ASUS show "quiet" SATA CD-Burner!

Post by Strand » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:11 am

Check out the pic of the CD-burner in this link!
Maybe the manufacturers finally realise that we want silent CD and DVD drives?

http://www20.tomshardware.com/business/ ... y1-05.html

Seal

Post by Seal » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:22 pm

cool looks like thers some good new stuff due out!

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:42 pm

While I find the concept of a quiet writer/reader always commendable, making an S-ATA CD-Writer is a little OTT I find.

Most boards (if at all) have got a mere 2 S-ATA slots so far, and until we have at least 4 as standard, there's no reason see to use that.

Even so, I'd likely still use IDE for my CD/DVD-writing/reading needs, as I'd prefer using the S-ATA where it's needed, my HD's :D.

Seal

Post by Seal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:39 am

Yeah shathal i thought that at first, the speed of a normal ATA bus far exceeds what any cd/dvd drive is currently capable of alone so there is no obvious advantage in sata cd drives. However i always say to ppl computing trends are very obvious to predict and i know for a fact that ata is going to be phased out and replaced by sata eventually. In this newer generation and in the next generation motherboards, we'll start to see/already see motherboards with 4+ sata ports. The sole advantage of sata cd drive is i suppose only for tidyer cabling.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:32 pm

Seal wrote:The sole advantage of sata cd drive is i suppose only for tidyer cabling.
The longer SATA cables also help if one has a tower case. Depending on the placement of PATA headers in a motherboard, the higher bays may be off limits to any device on a tower case.

Cheers,

Jan