Quietly mounting my drives in a "new" Lian Li cage

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mikity

Quietly mounting my drives in a "new" Lian Li cage

Post by Mikity » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:41 pm

Hi,

My Lian Li has one of the newer hard drive cages which gives you the option of mounting drives horizontally, by screwing in an extra panel:
This extra panel can be moved a bit further out, which gives another cm or two of space. The resulting space is still not as wide as a 5.25" bay, which is why most hard drive decoupling mechanisms won't fit. Has anyone got any good suggestions for a (possibly home-brew) contraption to mount the drives in a decoupled fashion? I thought of the NoVibes elastic bands but threading them through the holes will not be possible since they are a closed loop.

Thanks for any advice!

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:15 am

Suspend them using Aphonos' patented method, or using the world famous "Stretch Magic" technique pioneered by josephclemente.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:51 am

Ditto what Ralf said. You even have pre-made holes in which to put the bungees.

BTW, is it a good idea to put the bungee through both the upper and lower plate for added protection against swinging (when doing an U-shape, knots on the top)? Or does it cause vibrations/other problems noise-wise?

Cheers,

Jan

icancam

Post by icancam » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:26 am

Jan Kivar wrote: BTW, is it a good idea to put the bungee through both the upper and lower plate for added protection against swinging (when doing an U-shape, knots on the top)? Or does it cause vibrations/other problems noise-wise?
No, I don't think it does create problems when attached both above and below. In my particular set up, with a case that opens up clam-shell style with one side of the case down, I needed to rig my HDD in such a manner. After many experiments, I also verified our fearless leader MikeC's recommendation that the cord should not be taut but loose, just tight enough to hold the HDD in the correct position. I assume that when the cord is tight, it is less forgiving since it is closer to being rigid as opposed to being pliable, and so the vibrations of the HDD, instead of being dissipated, are transmitted into the case. It is also much easier to work inside the narrow confines of a case (or HDD cage) with elastic cord that is not under a great deal of tension!

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I didn't really mention anything about the tightness as I know that pulling it too tight would lessen the suspension effect.

I think that I have to experiment a bit when I get around buying stuff.

More opinions/comments on the subject are welcome.

Cheers,

Jan

Mikity

Post by Mikity » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:10 am

OK, well rather than fiddle around with bungee cords I'd prefer a solution that doesn't involve trashing the drive cage. So my current idea is to use the rubber buffers from a disk silencing kit:
and since there isn't much space, to just use them between the cage and the drive, i.e. screw - buffer - screw - drive.
The second screw would need to be double-sided though, a thread on either side. Do such things exist?

Thanks again,
Mike

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:29 am

Mikity wrote:OK, well rather than fiddle around with bungee cords I'd prefer a solution that doesn't involve trashing the drive cage.

Thanks again,
Mike
Suspension mounting your HDD won't require any cutting or mods to your existing drive cage. All you'll be doing is threading the suspension cords through the existing holes and slots in the case. Look at both my links for pics so you can get some ideas for your own setup.