Why not recomend ST94011A VERY quiet

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dedogs

Why not recomend ST94011A VERY quiet

Post by dedogs » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:41 pm

I have a tiny notebook laptop computer not very good running wise for some reason probally the celeron but the hard drive harly makes a sound when idle. the peek sound is quiet loud however but not really annoying.

Only reason i say is because you(QuietPC) says its a very loud drive with a loud whine all the time.. get it right it does not while at all maybe i got a new version i dont know but this hard rives very good.

Link to webpage with a mp3 to download of the sound when in operation. I recorded it with a shure microphone for professional voice and percusion so you should here it hopefuly.

Ow yeah ceers if you read, just want to sort things out.
lol as well as this might sound like i work for seagate i dont, just in awe of how reliable there products are.
Last edited by dedogs on Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

icancam

Post by icancam » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:13 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

Thank you for going to all the trouble of making a recording of your Seagate notebook drive. It would be interesting if similar recordings could be made in a repeatable and calibrated fashion so individual drives could be compared. Poor MikeC, just think of all the extra work required, and all the variables you would need to control, in order to include such recordings in the SPCR lab reviews!

Without any knowledge of drive to microphone distance, recording level, ambient noise level, etc, there is no objective way of evaluating your recording. However, as a subjective experience, it is most intriguing! What is that greatly increased noise level at the end of the recording?

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:24 pm

nice attitude.. sorry for caring.

Looks like thats my last post on here again bye

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:01 pm

We try to be as friendly as possible with nice big friendly text like this:
WELCOME TO SPCR. Search around to see if I'm wrong :D

Now, Laptop hard drives are very interesting to SPCR. Trust me on this.

But MikeC HAS informally heard the Momentus. See the bottom of this page. It's not clear if what he heard was indicative of all Momenti though.

I'd be curious to hear what you recorded. Your webpage doesn't appear to have any link available to me. Also, I don't know what attitude you feel that icancam gave you. I thought it was a fairly positive attitude.

How far away was the Microphone when you recorded the drive? I think that's a reasonable thing to ask. If you recorded my voice at 2" compared to 20", it would sound different. That's part of the reason there are no noise recordings here on this website. At the typical distances we use (1 meter), it's inaudible. And if we record at a close enough distance to be picked up, then it could be an unfair representation of the noise that it produces.

But still, even an unfair representation is better than just trying to imagine, IMHO, which is why I'm curious to hear it.

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:06 am

Whoa, dedogs, what is there to get so upset about? icancam said nothing in his response that was disrepectful...

somebody

Post by somebody » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:09 am

Pauli wrote:Whoa, dedogs, what is there to get so upset about? icancam said nothing in his response that was disrepectful...
I'm wondering about the same thing.

icancam

Post by icancam » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:12 pm

Dear dedogs, I'm very sorry that you were offended by my post. It was far from my intent to put you down. Apparently, at least three other people felt that what I wrote was inoffensive (thanks, guys or gals!).

I still think what you did was very interesting but that it provided no objective way of comparing the Seagate's noise level with other contenders. But it fascinated me enough to speculate if it might be possible to to set up a standard procedure to do so. In a fairly recent test of 3.5 inch hardrives, anandtech did make recordings of each of the drives that were compared.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdo ... =2073&p=10

Your recording was actually higher quality and lasted longer (but it no longer seems to be available)!

DuckSeason

Momentus?

Post by DuckSeason » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:57 am

If this is refering to the Seagate Momentus drives, my (recent) experieince is that they whine like a dog. Very annoying especially after previously having an identical notebook (Acer TM290) with a very quiet drive (Fujitsu from memory). Also very irksome for Segate to promote them as "inaudible". Yeah, right.