Samsung 2.5" 80GB 5400RPM 8Mb cache (MP0804H) or other?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andras

Samsung 2.5" 80GB 5400RPM 8Mb cache (MP0804H) or other?

Post by andras » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:25 am

Hi,

I have to choose asap a drive for a Shuttle Zen. Where I live (Italy) now the
Samsung's New Silent Notebook Drives (posted by MikeC)
are available.

MikeC has been working with the 40GB model, but I am interested also in the 80GB model (MP0804H). Perhaps for the moment I could live also with a 40GB model, but a 80GB drive would be better and now I can afford it. Anyway silence is a great priority, so if there is a fast 80GB model that is not louder (or much louder) than silent 40GB drives I would buy it. If not, I'll buy the 40GB Samsung drive.

BTW, probably I cannot suspend my drive because I'm going also to travel with this computer.

Can you give me some advice?

Thank you for your help.

Andras

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:38 pm

i am pretty sure MikEC has been recommending the 80gig samsgun notebook drive.

So if i am correct, it must be really quiet.

not to sure if you can hard mount them, just try it first and if you dont like it, then suspend it tightly so it doesnt more when you travel.

good luck

~RaNDoM

andras

Post by andras » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:28 am

RaNDoM,

Thank you for your reply.

I've started this post because I think that MikeC has tryied only the 40GB Samsung notebook drive. What he said about it (Samsung's New Silent Notebook Drives) is certainly enough for me to be sure that it is a very quiet drive. However I think (but I'm not sure because I'm not a tech geek) that the technology used in the 80GB drives are slightly different compared to the 40GB drives of the same series. So, this is the reason why I'm wondering if the 80GB drive's quietness is similar to that of the 40GB drive.

As for the hard mounting I'm buying also an adapter with two bracets included for mounting it as it was a 3,5" drive. I hope that it would work. If it is not enough quiet I will try the tight suspension route you talk about.

Andras

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:22 am

Are you going to modify the Shuttle, because if not then my guess will be that the harddrive is not going to be your primary source of noise, and therefor you can safely choose the 80gb harddrive over the 40gb

andras

Post by andras » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:39 am

Sorenbro, Thank you for your reply. This is the Shuttle ST62K (Zen) with external PSU and only one case/cpu fan. I will fit inside a P4 2.8GHz Northwood, not a Prescott. So it should be already quiet without mods. Perhaps I will substitute the fan to make it more quiet. I think that in this configuration hard drive matters. It even matters in my old computer where the idle hard drive is the loudest component!

TomMM

Availability?

Post by TomMM » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:53 pm

A few weeks ago I was looking for something like this. The 80G that you are talking about sounded ideal, but it wasn't yet available here in CAnada (so far as I can tell).

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:31 pm

I've used a round black elastic cord from a milliners' supply. With two cords holding a 3.5" drive, each one twisted several times on each side of the drive and lots of tension on the cords, they hold the drive securely enough to be transported.

andras

Post by andras » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:51 pm

Thank you all for your comments.

Now I understand that suspension is still possible in a Shuttle Zen to be transported.

I'm still not sure if the 80GB Samsung drive is so quiet as the 40GB drive (or close to it enough).

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm

I have the zen shuttle with a normal 3.5 160gig samsung drive and i am quiet happy with it.

Here are some pics
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/random_ma ... m=be24.jpg

The only noise i hear is seek noise and for some reason that went away a while ago. i guess the drive had to burn in?

The temps are really high tho, i am afraid of the drive dieing.

good luck

~RaNDoM

andras

Post by andras » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:38 am

RaNDoM, thank you for the advice and the nice pics. At this point I think that I'll buy the 80GB 2,5" Samsung drive. As for noise it could be somewhere between your 160GB drive and the 40GB Samsung drive. The use of the notebook drive in the Shuttle should reduce somewhat the risk of overheating and make the hard drive more resistant to high temps. I'll try to suspend the drive similarly as you did.

Schlotkins

Post by Schlotkins » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:20 pm

Has anyone moved from the 3.5" samsung to this drive? I was thinking about the move and wanted to hear about the performance....

Thanks,
Chris