Quiet DVDRW Drives?!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexb

Quiet DVDRW Drives?!

Post by alexb » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:49 pm

I am in the market for a DVD-RW drive. What drives are quieter than the rest? I am looking into getting a dual-layer, 8 or 16 speed drive.

Thnx

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:52 am

Search, there was a thread on this a few weeks back.
I've concluded that the Pioneer DVR-A08 is the quietest of the newest generation of drives, though some older drives may be quieter. The DVR-108 and NEC 3500 are also in the (quiet) running, though if you can slow a drive down with drivespeed or similar, almost any drive should run pretty quietly. I also find that a case with a noise damped front door makes a big difference to optical drive noise.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:11 pm

Well, I think there's more to getting your optical drive quiet. It's better to get a quiet drive in the first place and not rely on the door - for a completely different reason.

My totally unscientific, random observation left me with the feeling that noisy drives tend to scratch your CDs a lot faster.

PositiveSpin

Sony is quiet

Post by PositiveSpin » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:15 pm

I have an assortment of drives, including Pioneer (DVR-107, DVR-108) and Sony (510 and 710). All of these are fairly quiet, but the Sony, in particular is difficult to hear running.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:26 pm

Just stay away from Lite-Ons :P

My 2 Lite-On drives are hella loud. And for some reason Drivespeed all of the sudden isn't working with them *shrug*

michaelharvey

Post by michaelharvey » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:21 pm

I have a Sony dual layer DVD RW in one pc and I have just bought a Samsung DVD RW for another pc. I think both are reasonably quiet, but the Samsung is the better.

I have tried throttling down the Samsung with Drivespeed and at about 1/3 its max speed it is extremely quiet.

There is of course the plextor dvd rw which is suppose to be very quiet, but it in Australia at least, it is more than double the cost of the Samsung.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:05 am

There is plenty of actual sone and decibel measurements here in these forums about these drives.

The LiteOns are the noisiest. Sony's are LiteOn OEMs.

Nec is amongst the most silent. So is LG. Pioneer DVR-A08XL (with Quiet Drive) hasn't been measured, so it _could_ be the quietest _usable_ drive. The most silent measured 16x dvdrw is the BTC 16x model. However, it is completely useless as a dvd burner (bad quality burns).

The data is here in SPCR, use the search to find it, if you're interested.

alexb

Post by alexb » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:07 pm

halcyon wrote:There is plenty of actual sone and decibel measurements here in these forums about these drives.

The LiteOns are the noisiest. Sony's are LiteOn OEMs.

Nec is amongst the most silent. So is LG. Pioneer DVR-A08XL (with Quiet Drive) hasn't been measured, so it _could_ be the quietest _usable_ drive. The most silent measured 16x dvdrw is the BTC 16x model. However, it is completely useless as a dvd burner (bad quality burns).

The data is here in SPCR, use the search to find it, if you're interested.
So does this mean that Pioneer OEM (108) is NOT as quiet? What is "Quiet Drive"? I am almost certain on getting the Pioneer 108... but should I wait for the retail A-08XL instead?

Thnx

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:27 pm

Pioneer DVR-108 (retail or OEM) is NOT as quiet as the DVR-A08XLA, which has extra quieting measures in it.

The two contenders for the good and not overly noisy (ie. least noisy) 16x dvdrw burners are Nec 3500A and Pioneer DVR-A08XLA (not DVR-108).

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:45 pm

I just had my CDR die on me a few weeks ago and I replaced it with Pioneer DVR-A08XLA. At lower speeds (like playing a movie DVD or audio CD) it is extremely quite. When spun up to full speed it is much quiter than the Plextor CDR it replaced. Not silent but not bad either with a smooth character that is, to me, not a problem. I just burned a CDR at about 20X and I would say that it is at least 15db quiter than the old Plextor and it would only burn the same CDRs at about 16X. So far I am very happy with it. Buy the way Pioneer has a $30 rebate on these drives right now.

alexb

Post by alexb » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:11 pm

I am confused now!

Some say 108 is exactly the same as A08XL, some say different. From all the reviews I see they all say they're both quiet but A08XL has a different firmware that you can upgrade your 108 to!

Not sure if it's worth $50 more!

BTW, the Pioneer is based on the NEC chip, so those two drives are essentially the same.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:41 am

alexb,

The other sources you are reading are mistaken or don't care about acoustics (and as such don't see the differences):

Pioneer DVR-A08XLA
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews ... leId=10584

The most important part:
"...QuietDrive features a honeycomb design in the unit's top outer casing that reduces vibration from the drive mechanism. Together with noise dampening firmware and the lack of an integral fan, ambient noise from the DVR-A08XL is significantly reduced..."

This feature is not part of DVR-108 model.

The silent features are evident in the c't magazine 16x dvd-rw burner round up (issue 21/2004). However, Nec ND3500A does manage to produce less noise in high speed dvd burning, but it's more noisy in cd burning/reading.

alexb

Post by alexb » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:42 pm

halcyon wrote:alexb,

The other sources you are reading are mistaken or don't care about acoustics (and as such don't see the differences):

Pioneer DVR-A08XLA
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews ... leId=10584

The most important part:
"...QuietDrive features a honeycomb design in the unit's top outer casing that reduces vibration from the drive mechanism. Together with noise dampening firmware and the lack of an integral fan, ambient noise from the DVR-A08XL is significantly reduced..."

The silent features are evident in the c't magazine 16x dvd-rw burner round up (issue 21/2004). However, Nec ND3500A does manage to produce less noise in high speed dvd burning, but it's more noisy in cd burning/reading.
Thanks a lot. This helps... still wondering if it's worth 50$ more?!

alexb

Post by alexb » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:14 am

halcyon wrote:"...QuietDrive features a honeycomb design in the unit's top outer casing that reduces vibration from the drive mechanism. Together with noise dampening firmware and the lack of an integral fan, ambient noise from the DVR-A08XL is significantly reduced..."

Where did u get info on NEC's noise?

Now I am on a toss-up between NEC-3500A and Pioneer DVR-108... which one's quieter?

Thnx

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:52 am

c't magazine measured all the models I've discussed. They usually do a pretty decent although they are not probably up to Mike's quality (which is VERY high).

The measurements seem to be inline with most of the user comments I've read.

Of the two you listed DVR-108 and ND3500A, I'd pick 3500A. However if you put DVR-A08XLA into the equation (which IS more quiet than DVR-108, due to different chassis and control software), then it's a toss between that and Nec 3500A.

alexb

Post by alexb » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:44 am

halcyon wrote:c't magazine measured all the models I've discussed. They usually do a pretty decent although they are not probably up to Mike's quality (which is VERY high).

The measurements seem to be inline with most of the user comments I've read.

Of the two you listed DVR-108 and ND3500A, I'd pick 3500A. However if you put DVR-A08XLA into the equation (which IS more quiet than DVR-108, due to different chassis and control software), then it's a toss between that and Nec 3500A.
Thanks, A08XLA is a lot more expensive... does NEC come with a fan? Prioneer as far as I know doesn't have any.

Does c't magazine have online articles?

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:07 pm

c't is not online (and it is in German). A08XLA does not have a fan. 108 might have (not sure). No fan on Nec 3500a.

cheers,
halcyon

PS You could have found out all these by just using Google a little bit yourself :)

alexb

Post by alexb » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:47 pm

halcyon wrote:c't is not online (and it is in German). A08XLA does not have a fan. 108 might have (not sure). No fan on Nec 3500a.

cheers,
halcyon

PS You could have found out all these by just using Google a little bit yourself :)
Thanks man. I tried searching but since it was in German, I couldn't figure it out.

Also, there's not much info on noise level on NEC (when there's a lot about Pioneer). I think from what I read 108 doesn't have a fan either. I guess I cannot go wrong with either.

Thnx again

aidanjm2004

Post by aidanjm2004 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:58 pm

Spod wrote:I've concluded that the Pioneer DVR-A08 is the quietest of the newest generation of drives, though some older drives may be quieter. The DVR-108 and NEC 3500 are also in the (quiet) running, though if you can slow a drive down with drivespeed or similar, almost any drive should run pretty quietly. I also find that a case with a noise damped front door makes a big difference to optical drive noise.
Does the Pioneer DVR-A08 benefit from a drive speed utility? (Do you know if it works with e.g., Nero Drivespeed?)

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:15 pm

I have a Pioneer DVR-105/A05 model, and Panasonic had a utility that would let you set the drive operation mode. To two operational modes were 'quiet' and 'performance'. I set mine to quiet and it is fairly quiet (though if you're looking for it, you'll certainly hear it).

alexb

Post by alexb » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:35 pm

Just an update.

I just bought an NEC 3500A. The drive is quiet AT TIMES... but not all the times. When playing a DVD it's quite nice... but while readin CDs or writing, it's a bit noisy... although much better than my Teac CDRW.

Yet to hear the Pioneer drive to compare it to... but neither have a fan and are based on the same chipset... so I guess they should be similar!

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:19 am

The Pioneer DVR-A08 comes with its own "intelligent" drive speed manipulation program. The DVR-108 doesn't support this, so you'll need to try a third party application like drivespeed.

alexb

Post by alexb » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:11 am

Just an update that I bought the NEC 3500A and it's the QUIETEST DRIVE I have ever owned. I sometimes have to look at the light to make sure it's spinning. It still had some noise at highest speeds, etc... but overall GREAT optical drive!

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:08 pm

alexb wrote:Just an update that I bought the NEC 3500A and it's the QUIETEST DRIVE I have ever owned. I sometimes have to look at the light to make sure it's spinning. It still had some noise at highest speeds, etc... but overall GREAT optical drive!
i can vouch for this too. i just received in the mail an NEC 3520A (which i assume is similar to the 3500A) and it is really really quiet. Highly recommended!

cliche

Post by cliche » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:43 pm

Mine is loud as hell compared to my ancient Sony (RIP)

ilh

Post by ilh » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:55 am

chylld wrote:
alexb wrote:Just an update that I bought the NEC 3500A and it's the QUIETEST DRIVE I have ever owned. I sometimes have to look at the light to make sure it's spinning. It still had some noise at highest speeds, etc... but overall GREAT optical drive!
i can vouch for this too. i just received in the mail an NEC 3520A (which i assume is similar to the 3500A) and it is really really quiet. Highly recommended!
My 3520A is incredibly noisy when it is spinning at 48x, but then again probably any drive is. With it slowed to 16x using Nero DriveSpeed it is fairly quiet.

alexb

Post by alexb » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:05 pm

All I can say is that ALL drives when spinning at highest setting can NOT be quiet by definition. However, NEC has been the QUIETEST of ALL other drives I have ever tried and that includes, Pioneer, Teac, Lite-on, LG.

For instance when it's writing, I cannot hear it and sometimes have to look to see if it's working.

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:58 pm

yeh i'll amend my previous statement, when burning cd's at max speed it's definitely quite audible. but when burning dvd's (woohoo!) at 8x with the door on my bqe closed, it's pretty much silent.

cliche

Post by cliche » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:08 pm

chylld wrote:yeh i'll amend my previous statement, when burning cd's at max speed it's definitely quite audible. but when burning dvd's (woohoo!) at 8x with the door on my bqe closed, it's pretty much silent.
How about when playing DVD's ? So I can compare

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:19 pm

cliche wrote:How about when playing DVD's ? So I can compare
with the bqe door closed, it's barely audible from 1m away over the traffic on the road outside (and i live on a quiet street). even with the door open you have to strain to hear it at 1m, but this is daytime.. at night time it'd be easier to hear.