Props to Samsung Customer Service

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Props to Samsung Customer Service

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:04 am

About 10 days ago I lost a SP1614N (Nidec) drive. It was manufactured in 7-03 and had seen a moderate amount of use.

I filled out Samsung's online RMA form and sent the drive to their repair depot in New Jersey on Monday, 11-22-04. Yesterday, 11-30-04 the UPS guy delivered a replacement from Samsung. Even though their website stated that I'd get a "refurbished" drive as a replacement, I actually received a brand-new, manufactured in 10-04, NIDEC[/i] drive as a replacement.

So we have just over a one week turn-around (even including the four day holiday weekend in the middle) and I got a Nidec drive in return.

Can't beat that. Props to Samsung Customer Service but it's a shame that the drive died in the first place....
Last edited by Ralf Hutter on Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:14 am

Nice the hear that you got good support :)

I wonder if I ask them nicely they will send Nidecs to me. I cannot seem to find any in the UK atm.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:34 am

i'll second that, Ralf...

i had a samsung drive fail a few months ago and went through the same easy RMA process. I live very close to NJ so I actually had a drive back in less than a week. i was shocked. i don't know if its a new drive or not as i haven't really opened the package yet. hmm, that reminds me that i need to do that.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:54 am

I have also found Samsung's customer service policy great. I had purchased a 172T LCD monitor, the digital connection was kinda buggy so I returned it. They gave me another one, except it was making a very slight buzzing noise, I returned that one aswell. I was glad they never put up any complaints or asked any stupid questions like "have you tried other video cards, drivers, reboot.....".

Bean

Post by Bean » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:04 am

Update edit: I will receive my replacement on Dec 6. pretty good turn around considering the holiday.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My RMA status on line shows: "received on 11/24"

Total Defective Unit(s): 1
Total Returned Defective but No Exchange Unit(s): 1
Total Advance Shipped but No Return Unit(s): 0
Total Exchange Completed Unit(s): 0

Maybe I should email them considering others fast turnarounds. It is interesting to note that according to their online hard drive diagnostic here
if the drive passes scandisk and chkdisk that they consider it good which mine does. However it will not pass the tests on the "Hutil" files and comes up with errors after a deep scan.

Edit: I'm not complaining as I did not go for their optional exchange program they offered and in reality I would not panic until 3-4 weeks pass. But don't like the broken links on their online hard drive diagnostic and I question using only scandisk as wheter or not a hard drive is good. I had to dig to find their "Hutil file".
Last edited by Bean on Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

bluey

Nidec Spinpoints in UK

Post by bluey » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:53 am

Hiya,

**First post to SPCR :) :)

I just picked up a Nidec motor Spinpoint (160GB) from dabs about a week ago.

This was just a lucky pickup. I'm sure dabs wouldn't let you specify which motor type you would like.

Cheers...

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:09 pm

Yeah, I emailed Dabs and about cherry picking Nidecs and they did not even bother to respond. I guess that means they are not interested in my cash....

Bean

Post by Bean » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:51 am

Update: my replacement is shipping on Dec.6.
Considering they received on Nov. 24 and the holidays thats pretty good turn around.

silverback

Post by silverback » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:31 pm

You are ll very lucky. One of the western digital rapter drives I no longer use died a month after I had got it. It took 2 months to get another drive replacement despite the fact it was 2 day aired to them. It sat in thier warehouse for 3 weeks before it was even looked at.

Then to top it off the new drive they sent me wich was in a sealed anti static bag was DOA. It was december of last year and nasty cold out. -20 with wind chill or something. At least I think thats what happened to it. The box it came in was freezing. You know how when metal gets really cold it changes color. Well the whole top of the drive was hazed over like that.

So I RMA the drive and like another 2 months pass. I call them and they give me a hard time about I should have gave them my credit card number. They would have sent me a new drive right away and deduct the money from the credit card later on. Oh well.

So finally the new drive arrives and it works for like a month then dies. Im not even kidding and really pissed of at this point. So I contact WD and tell them I want my money back and about all the failers and returns. The aggravation and constant loss of data was rediculious. They obviously tell me no. I just dont want to deal with another failed drive after waiting ect so that was the end of it. Not worth it. The drive is still sitting in a box broken. Hasnt been sent back yet. Between the constant shipping costs and everything else it was killing me.

So anyway be happy because that is definatly a good turn around.

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Props to Samsung Customer Service

Post by matt_garman » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:23 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I filled out Samsung's online RMA form and sent the drive to their repair depot in New Jersey on Monday, 11-22-04. Yesterday, 11-30-04 the UPS guy delivered a replacement from Samsung. Even though their website stated that I'd get a "refurbished" drive as a replacement, I actually received a brand-new, manufactured in 10-04, NIDEC drive as a replacement.
What web page did you use for the RMA?

I'm having trouble even getting my RMA authorized. I found one Samsung web page that says if I need to RMA it, take it up with the supplier. Of course the supplier says it's warrantied by the manufacturer. Smells like the runaround.

So I did some more searching, and found a totally different Samsung webpage. I entered my drive information, serial number, etc, and they said someone would contact me with an RMA. The RMA request was put in on Friday (Dec 20) and I still haven't heard back.

Matt

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Props to Samsung Customer Service

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:22 am

matt_garman wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:I filled out Samsung's online RMA form and sent the drive to their repair depot in New Jersey on Monday, 11-22-04. Yesterday, 11-30-04 the UPS guy delivered a replacement from Samsung. Even though their website stated that I'd get a "refurbished" drive as a replacement, I actually received a brand-new, manufactured in 10-04, NIDEC drive as a replacement.
What web page did you use for the RMA?
BTF out of me, that was over a year ago! :)

This current page looks like the process I went through, according to my original post, but it also sounds like the page you used a month ago and got no response from. I'd try it again.

Sorry, no other suggestions. Samsung's website(s) are ridiculously convoluted and un-userfriendly. I've spent literally hours searching for info and only been slightly successful.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:10 am

I wonder if I ask them nicely they will send Nidecs to me. I cannot seem to find any in the UK atm.
I recently bought 4 or 5 Samsung drives from PC World, all were Nidec. I hadn't asked them to but even if you don't get Nidecs the first time PC World allow you to return them and/or exchange for another one. KustomPC's in Scotland also stock Nidec Samsungs and will pick one out if you ask.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:44 pm

at the risk of sounding stupid...how do you know if they are a nidec motor? is it printed on the sticker on the top of the drive?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:06 pm

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:14 pm

aha! there it is! :D thx

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:17 am

I'm sure someone once posted that all the 200gb+ drives were Nidecs..can anyone confirm this?

I'm looking to buy from PC World.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:39 am

The official Nidec/JVC motor poll. AFAIK, yes, the new drives are all Nidec, but Samsung wouldn't confirm this...

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:13 am

Devonavar wrote:The official Nidec/JVC motor poll. AFAIK, yes, the new drives are all Nidec, but Samsung wouldn't confirm this...
Yeah I remember contributing to that poll when it seemed to be split mainly on the 160gbs when they first came out.