Can the Smart Drive Copper 2002 be used with the 15.3K SCSI?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jayn

Can the Smart Drive Copper 2002 be used with the 15.3K SCSI?

Post by jayn » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:04 pm

I read on their website that they tested it with a 10K IBM SCSI HD. Now IBM SCSIs are very hot and noisy, while the Cheetah 15.3K is extremely cool running for a SCSI drive.

will the smart drive overheat the HD? I really need to silence the beast.

or do you guys think this is a better solution: http://www.3dcool.com/Details.asp?cid=360&id=1098

sgrossklass

Post by sgrossklass » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:13 pm

From what's given on the web, the Smart Drive looks like the better bet. You could still give it some airflow should this become necessary. (Incidentally, the 15K.3 has a spec'd power dissipation that's somewhat below that of a 36ES with the same capacity, quite a feat of engineering. It'll be cooler than a vintage 10k IBM drive like a 73LZX, but it's not your average 7.2k Samsung.)
BTW, which capacity 15K.3 do you have and how does it bother you?

jayn

Post by jayn » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:34 pm

thanks for the reply

i have the 73 GB cheetah 15.3K and it is just LOUD compared to my dad's silent 200GB Seagate 7200.7.

I have a lian-li case and all the drive noise is leaking from the front fan grille, i powered on the system with the cheetah unplugged and OMG its peace on earth

so you would say its a go for the Smart Drive?

sgrossklass

Post by sgrossklass » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:14 am

Well, with the 73 gigger I'm not too surprised it bothers you. It is overproportionally louder than the smaller models. (Measurements from c't mag indicate 2.0 sone idle, which is not quiet by any means. The datasheet specs 3.5 bels, vs. 3.2 bels for the 36 gig and 3.1 bels for the 18 gig models. For comparison: The Cheetah 36ES is spec'd with 3.2 bels and was measured at 1.1 sone idle, which makes for a pretty bearable idle noise level IMHO. A typical current IDE drive like the two-platter 7200.7 will measure like 0.6 to 0.7 sone in idle.) Something similar was to be observed with the Fujitsu MAS, which measured at 2.1 sone for the 73 gigger and 1.3 sone for the 36 gig model. So you may want to consider going for a smaller model unless you really need the higher capacity.

Re: the Smart Drive 2002, I have just read a review of the thing. Seems to be one of the coolest enclosures of this kind (only marginally warmer than w/ a barefoot drive), and very good at noise dampening too. It was also found to be very well made. I guess if that one doesn't cut it, no other such enclosure will. BTW, are you currently using any decoupling at all? This alone can make worlds of difference with vibrations or loud access noises (but obviously won't do much against whine and such, where enclosures come into play).

jayn

Post by jayn » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:27 am

thanks for the reply, its the idle noise leaking out from the fan grilles in front of my lian-li case..

I have cushioning on the drive cage and dampening on the case interior, so it is the idle motor noise creating the whooooooooosh sound.

i really want to get this project done before new year, sux that there are no review on the SilenX product.

btw...SCSI HDs will outperform the biggest and fattest IDE HD out there. PERIOD..even the raptor is unmatched for SCSI's low CPU utilization and no, i am not moving to a smaller storage. In fact, I will be getting several 15K 147GB drive after new year and i have to keep noise level in check.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:38 pm

jayn wrote:btw...SCSI HDs will outperform the biggest and fattest IDE HD out there. PERIOD..
I wish the difference was enough to jump up and down about. I'll take IDE or SATA over SCSI any day.

jayn

Post by jayn » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:12 pm

then maybe you should try a 15K SCSI and then tell me if u can feel the difference or not :P