Need a new floppy drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Need a new floppy drive

Post by Shining Arcanine » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:55 pm

After having my LS-120 serve as a floppy drive after it lost its ability to use LS-120 disks, I today discovered that it has lost its ability to use floppy disks. Does anyone have any suggestions for a floppy drive I could replace it with?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:15 pm

I believe someone asked about quiet floppy drives not long ago, IIRC there were plenty of answers in that thread. Mabe you'll find some good suggestions in it.

EdT

Re: Need a new floppy drive

Post by EdT » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Shining Arcanine wrote:After having my LS-120 serve as a floppy drive after it lost its ability to use LS-120 disks, I today discovered that it has lost its ability to use floppy disks. Does anyone have any suggestions for a floppy drive I could replace it with?
Looks like only Panasonic and Sony still makes these old floppy drives, I just got a Panasonic before X-Mas to replace my old Epson that was still working, but I didn't like the old beige color of the face plate. You can find a Panasonic for around $9us

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 am

I am considering one of these, with a built in flash card reader
http://www.svc.com/mit-f404m-bk-93.html

Dunno how quite it is & @ $26.00 certainly dearer than the dear old basic floppy. However, if you need to these cards you will certainly reduce the spaghetti factor.

geogecko

Post by geogecko » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:43 am

How about moving into the 21st century, and using a USB flash drive? :D

That was a joke, but really, why do you need a floppy anyway? I removed mine from my PC about 6 months ago, and will not even have one in my HTPC.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:10 am

The Sony drive I got about a year ago is pretty quiet, not that I use it a lot (only for the occational boot disk or RAID drivers when installing an OS).

geogecko

Post by geogecko » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:17 am

Actually, I have the Sony drive as well, and it is pretty quiet, unless there is no disk in there, and the OS is searching it!

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:03 pm

I have a USB floppy drive for my system... This drive is external so it's easy to reduce the noise. Most of the time, it's disconnected and I only plug it when I need it... I know it's an old technology, but I was happy to have one when I had to reinstall Windows, just to install the SATA driver to complete the setup.

geogecko

Post by geogecko » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:12 am

First thing I'd do when building a new system, is to burn all those floppy drivers (drivers that come on a floppy) to a CD, that way, you won't need the floppy again next time.

NeilBlanchard

the Mitsumi with memory card reader?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:20 am

Hello:

I recommend the Mitsumi with memory card reader -- it will use a USB port to do it, but you actually can use the bay for another device at the same time! It isn't a noisy floppy -- and how often do you use it anyway?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:19 am

Question for flash drive users. Are there any flash (CF/SD/xD) drives that can function as an A: drive?

The first thing I discovered when trying to install Windows XP is that additional drivers MUST be placed in the A: drive. You couldn't choose a different drive to point to for the drivers, no they HAD to be on the A: drive.

I'm just curious if there are any out there.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:23 pm

geogecko wrote:First thing I'd do when building a new system, is to burn all those floppy drivers (drivers that come on a floppy) to a CD, that way, you won't need the floppy again next time.
Same thing here, except that the XP setup cannot install SATA drivers from a CD-ROM, but from a floppy or equivalent (A: drive)... Il you don't install the SATA drivers, then you get a BSOD and cannot complete the installation. Some old SATA controllers are now autodetected in setup if you have a XP CD-ROM including SP2... but personally, I like to install the lastest drivers. I don't trust those MS native drivers...

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:25 pm

Some USB flash drives are bootable, some not. I found one test only online that reported on that.

I still like a floppy for diagnostics and repair. That's what old dead Pentiums and 486' are for. :) However, you can download and burn The Ultimate Boot CD to get a bootable cd full of dos diagnostics.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:41 am

Slaugh wrote:
geogecko wrote:First thing I'd do when building a new system, is to burn all those floppy drivers (drivers that come on a floppy) to a CD, that way, you won't need the floppy again next time.
Same thing here, except that the XP setup cannot install SATA drivers from a CD-ROM, but from a floppy or equivalent (A: drive)... Il you don't install the SATA drivers, then you get a BSOD and cannot complete the installation. Some old SATA controllers are now autodetected in setup if you have a XP CD-ROM including SP2... but personally, I like to install the lastest drivers. I don't trust those MS native drivers...
One can always slipstream the drivers into a custom Windows XP disc.
sthayashi wrote:Question for flash drive users. Are there any flash (CF/SD/xD) drives that can function as an A: drive?
As Neil kinda mentioned, all readers are connected via USB. It's up to the BIOS if it can show up the reader as an USB FDD (maybe needs even the legacy option enabled in BIOS for Windows' setup to see the drive, I don't have any experience). Some USB memory sticks can be configured to show up as USB HDD or USB FDD, but I don't know whether the functionality for USB FDD would need to be in the reader, or if the Flash card needs to be specially formatted.

Cheers,

Jan

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:24 pm

Jan Kivar wrote:One can always slipstream the drivers into a custom Windows XP disc.
I know. And I never want to have to do anything like that again. :wink:

geogecko

Post by geogecko » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:25 pm

sthayashi wrote:
Jan Kivar wrote:One can always slipstream the drivers into a custom Windows XP disc.
I thought it was pretty painless when I did that to get SP2 on my old SP1 XP CD...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:34 pm

geogecko wrote:
sthayashi wrote:
I thought it was pretty painless when I did that to get SP2 on my old SP1 XP CD...
Slipstreaming drivers, unless someone can tell me a better way, is a lot more complicated than slipstreaming service packs.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:37 pm

geogecko wrote:How about moving into the 21st century, and using a USB flash drive? :D

That was a joke, but really, why do you need a floppy anyway? I removed mine from my PC about 6 months ago, and will not even have one in my HTPC.
I need to bring a few dozen KB to class, I am waiting for the 1GB USB Flash drives to come down in price and I have over a hundred floppies lying around in a case. Given the circumstances, I figure I minus well use a floppy so my teacher may keep the disc and I don't waste a 700MB CD-R.

geogecko

Post by geogecko » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Shining Arcanine wrote:
geogecko wrote:How about moving into the 21st century, and using a USB flash drive? :D

I need to bring a few dozen KB to class, I am waiting for the 1GB USB Flash drives to come down in price and I have over a hundred floppies lying around in a case. Given the circumstances, I figure I minus well use a floppy so my teacher may keep the disc and I don't waste a 700MB CD-R.
LOL. Isn't a CD-R cheaper than a floppy? :lol:

I guess if you are taking multiple CD-R's, that you must turn in, then I can see where it might get expensive. In that case, you need a way to re-write.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:27 pm

geogecko wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:I need to bring a few dozen KB to class, I am waiting for the 1GB USB Flash drives to come down in price and I have over a hundred floppies lying around in a case. Given the circumstances, I figure I minus well use a floppy so my teacher may keep the disc and I don't waste a 700MB CD-R.

I guess if you are taking multiple CD-R's, that you must turn in, then I can see where it might get expensive. In that case, you need a way to re-write.
Yeah, something like a CD-R, but writeable. Like maybe a CD-RW, perhaps? :).

Seriously, when I swore off of floppies, I decided to use CD-RWs instead. Although they're not QUITE as dirt cheap as CD-Rs, they can still be had for not that much money. It might be worthwhile for you to try.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:53 pm

sthayashi wrote:
geogecko wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:I need to bring a few dozen KB to class, I am waiting for the 1GB USB Flash drives to come down in price and I have over a hundred floppies lying around in a case. Given the circumstances, I figure I minus well use a floppy so my teacher may keep the disc and I don't waste a 700MB CD-R.

Yeah, something like a CD-R, but writeable. Like maybe a CD-RW, perhaps? :).

Seriously, when I swore off of floppies, I decided to use CD-RWs instead. Although they're not QUITE as dirt cheap as CD-Rs, they can still be had for not that much money. It might be worthwhile for you to try.
As it stands, I have a pile of floppies taking up space I could have CD-Rs in, I need to access the occasional floppy disk on my desktop (for Windows installation having a floppy drive is more convienent than slipstreaming the SATA drivers) and I need something taking up that 3.5" slot in the front of my PC because the case manufacturer left it open. Right now it is just more convient for me to waste $20 on a quiet floppy drive so I can use a floppy disk.

limee

Post by limee » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:25 pm

I'd recommend the Sony over a Panasonic floppy drive (both new). Haven't tried/heard a Samsung yet. BTW the sound won't sound smooth or anything, you will still hear that tapping-on-metal sound :D.

Haven't heard the USB drives by Sony, though it's apparently even quieter than their internal version (can anyone confirm this?). But anyhow, those USB drives seem to cost as much as a CD-RW which is kinda crazy. Plus, no system is truly complete without the mighty floppy drive!~ Those foolish people at Apple... 8)

EdT

Post by EdT » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:57 pm

Awwww, I'am disappointed with the most of you, you don't embrace the past and just jump onto the "NEW" bandwagon without realizing that sometimes new is not always better. "Always remember your past, a country with no history has no future !"

Adavantages that the mighty old floppy has that the CDR can't touch:

1. More compact
2. More robust to dirt, dust and environment
3. Easily writes and re-writes
4. Media is ubiqouis
5. Bootable on 100% of PCs
6. A design classic like a Leica M3, SR70, AppleII or XT

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:03 am

EdT wrote:Awwww, I'am disappointed with the most of you, you don't embrace the past and just jump onto the "NEW" bandwagon without realizing that sometimes new is not always better. "Always remember your past, a country with no history has no future !"

1. More compact
4. Media is ubiqouis
Amen Bro!

That said, as a unrepentant floppy user, Sony's are the quietest of all currently made FDDs. I have a few older non-Sony drives that are quiet, but they're all OEM pulls. Buying a new Sony FDD will give you the quietest FDD that's currently available.

geogecko

Post by geogecko » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:14 am

EdT wrote:Awwww, I'am disappointed with the most of you, you don't embrace the past and just jump onto the "NEW" bandwagon without realizing that sometimes new is not always better. "Always remember your past, a country with no history has no future !"

1. More compact
4. Media is ubiqouis
LOL.

1. The compact disc is flatter
2. The CD is waterproof
3. Maybe, but slow
4. I think we can just about say that the CD is ubiquitous as well
5. Depends if the proposed PC has a floppy drive
6. Not sure what this really means...guess I'm too young to know

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:08 pm

Guys, I want to support US industry so I'm thinking of getting a Memorex floppy disk drive:

http://www.memorex.com/html/products_de ... &opento=11

What do you think of it?

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:12 pm

Exactly what makes you think it's made in the US? If it isn't made in Asia for Memorex, I'd be highly surprised. Their cassette tapes and floppy disks were inferior to other major brands. Not exactly a synonym for quality.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:22 am

Shining Arcanine wrote:Guys, I want to support US industry so I'm thinking of getting a Memorex floppy disk drive:

http://www.memorex.com/html/products_de ... &opento=11

What do you think of it?
Get this one.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:02 pm

DanceMan wrote:Exactly what makes you think it's made in the US? If it isn't made in Asia for Memorex, I'd be highly surprised. Their cassette tapes and floppy disks were inferior to other major brands. Not exactly a synonym for quality.
It doesn't matter, I want the profits to be in the pockets of my countrymen. The economy doesn't grow by itself.

As for quality, memorex CDs are high quality so I'd expect their disk drives to be high quality as well. The alternative that I'm aware of is Imation:

http://www.imation.com/products/diskett ... ve_pc.html

Considering that I am buying a new drive because of an Imation drive, I'd rather not buy from them but if they're recommended over Memorex I'd be more than happy to buy from them.

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:39 pm

Urgh... Just go for whoever has the better/cheaper product. Capitalism (an American value) at its finest.