Need a new floppy drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LH

Post by LH » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:25 am

My Samsung floppy is pretty quiet, but I think I'll go for a Sony floppy (based on Ralf's recommendation) for my upcoming system.

I know Sony floppy drives are quiet, but is the MPF920-Z quieter than the MPF920? The MPF920-Z lists an MTBF of 30,000 hours, while the MPF920 lists an MTBF of 100,000 hours--which leads me to think they might be different mechanically (and perhaps noisewise as well).

Also, CompUSA sells the MPF920-Z for $25, while Newegg sells the MPF920 for $8. The MPF920-Z does have interchangeable faceplates (that include a "Sony" emblem :)), but I doubt that would result in a $17 markup--even after the retail packaging and stuff. Maybe it has "quiet" features (that also shortens its lifespan)...

geogecko

Post by geogecko » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:40 am

LH wrote:My Samsung floppy is pretty quiet...
Make sure it's got a Nidec motor in it though... :lol:

LH

Post by LH » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:50 pm

geogecko wrote:
LH wrote:My Samsung floppy is pretty quiet...
Make sure it's got a Nidec motor in it though... :lol:
:lol: Actually, I'm going to buy a Samsung 160GB SATA (which I'm hoping will be a Nidec) and a Samsung 710N LCD. Since I'm not going for a Samsung DVD writer, I could still complete the trifecta by getting the Samsung floppy along with Wiss snips for $25...

It's not like I'm going to be using the floppy all the time, so floppy quietness doesn't really matter to me... :wink:

limee

Post by limee » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:26 pm

Or get the Sony, swap it with the one in your old machine, and give a comparison on quietness for both :D

LH

Post by LH » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:43 pm

limee wrote:Or get the Sony...
...yes, but which one? :wink: :lol:

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:09 am

I brought the Memorex floppy drive (I'll need it for the floppies every few years or so) and it doesn't make any noise on boot like my Imation LS-120 drive did. It makes a considerable amount of noise when reading but my computer will boot (every few weeks) more than it reads a floppy so what happens at boot is more important.

limee

Post by limee » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:29 pm

LH wrote:
Heresay maybe but I think Ralph has tried both, I recall during the last floppy debate that he recommended buying the Sony which also sported removeable face plates. Seeing he also gave you the link with the regular OEM, I'm guessing they both sound the same?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:00 pm

limee wrote:
LH wrote:
Heresay maybe but I think Ralph has tried both, I recall during the last floppy debate that he recommended buying the Sony which also sported removeable face plates. Seeing he also gave you the link with the regular OEM, I'm guessing they both sound the same?
Right on, bro.

LH

Post by LH » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:08 am

limee wrote:
LH wrote:
That's what was confusing me. In that thread, Ralf recommended the retail version, but in this thread he posted a link to the OEM version (in response to Shining Arcanine, not me :)). And since I thought the two versions were different, I wasn't sure if one was quieter than the other.

But I believe Ralf has cleared that issue up. I guess I'll get the Sony OEM, so I'll still have enough for some Wiss snips. :D

Sorry for dragging out this Sony vs. Sony floppy debate, but hopefully someone else has or will find this info useful.

Thanks Ralf and limee. :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:33 am

LH wrote:That's what was confusing me. In that thread, Ralf recommended the retail version, but in this thread he posted a link to the OEM version (in response to Shining Arcanine, not me :)). And since I thought the two versions were different, I wasn't sure if one was quieter than the other.
I'll try and clarify, once and for all. I've used multiple examples of each Sony FDD, and the OEM and the retail drives sound the same to me. I recommended the OEM versin because it costs around 60% as much as the boxed retail version. OEM only comes in beige though while the retail comes with replaceable beige, silver and black faceplates.

EDIT - This has to be the worlds longest thread on "choosing a floppy drive". :)