how to get a Nidec motor Samsung Spinpont guranteed

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

how to get a Nidec motor Samsung Spinpont guranteed

Post by dan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:03 am

hello,
newegg won't do it. zipzoomfly won't do it. best buy, compusa, circuit city don't sell it.

i finally found a way you can order by phone a guranteed nidec motor samsung spinpoint.

microcenter in westmont, il had nidec and will sell it to you if you ask by phone. specifically,

click
http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/westmont.html

call during Hours:Mon. - Sat. 10 to 9; Sun. 11 to 6

@ (630) 371-5500,

if possible, speak with the general store manager, Lydia. tell her "dan suggests i can buy a nidec motor" as i personally spent about half an hour explaining to her the difference between nidec and jvc, where and how to find the label on the motor, and why i MUST get nidec. i made it a point to mention silentpc review :). if you speak to someone other than "lydia" you may have to explain the difference between jvc and nidec, and where to find it. also lydia is the general store manager, and it's she who takes the credit cards anyway.

i originally called the microcenter in chicago by phone, and they (1)- didn't want to help me (2) didn't care to investigate, and (3) claimed all their HD are JVC. the westmont microcenter was very professonal and friendly and prompt.

then place order. with small retailers like microcenter, the managers can personally locate and identify the drive in the warehouse. with large online retailers like newegg they simply ship whatever warehouse has.

by the way i originally ordered the drive from newegg but when one of their reps told me before it was sent out it was a JVC i told newegg to cancel the order, and they did so promptly.

i ordered it from this microcenter, and i received my nidec spinpoint, and it's awesomely quiet! :)

Reesh
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:37 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post by Reesh » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:34 pm

Hey dan, did this microcenter have 1614N oem drives? The one in mayfield, OH only had 1604N drives even though they did have nidecs.

smoothness
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:20 am
Location: MA

Post by smoothness » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:13 am

you can call any microcenter and ask them to pick one with a nidec motor - that's the advantage of the oem boxes being clear.

rtsai
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:49 am
Location: Boston, MA

Post by rtsai » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:46 am

Reesh wrote:Hey dan, did this microcenter have 1614N oem drives? The one in mayfield, OH only had 1604N drives even though they did have nidecs.
I suspect not. Just check the Microcenter.com website; they don't list the SP1614N drives (although they do list SP1604N and SP1614C).

johanca
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:36 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by johanca » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:36 am

Is 2*Spinpoint 160gb more quiet than 1*250 gb 7200.8 ATA?

Furthermore: How do you know if it has a NIDEC motor?

dan
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

Post by dan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:56 am

lol - just ask lydia.

i first called the microcenter in chicago, and they didn't want to help me. the microcenter in westmont and "lydia" was very helpful.

Reesh
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:37 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post by Reesh » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:53 pm

I returned the 1604N to microcenter and got the 1614C sata drive...along with my new DFI ultra infinity :D

johanca if you look on the forums there are plenty of posts and pictures explaining how to identify the motor. But basically if you look at the back of the drive right above the motor there is a stamp with the name and serial number? of the motor. It will read either Nidec or JVC on the motor.

elasticdog
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:07 pm
Location: Illinois - USA
Contact:

Post by elasticdog » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:50 pm

Just for reference, I ordered a Samsung SP0802N a few days ago from NewEgg...got it today, and it is a Nidec!

ambrose007
-- Vendor --
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:39 pm

Microcenter Westmont Samsung Nidec Drives

Post by ambrose007 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:53 pm

Hi, This Brian from Microcenter in westmont we just got a shipment of the samsung SATA 160gb SP1614C drives with the nidec motor's

We have a limited amount, but we do have them you can call and order them over the phone but make sure you tell them you need the nidec's they will now be seperate from the other samsungs.

Ask for Brian in commications, as i have been the one who has been sorting them and making sure the right drives get sent out, and i make commssion...:)

The Sku # is 556431
Micro Center
80 East Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
630-371-5500

P.S

If your looking for anything else we might have drop a line
we will see what we can do

Brian

dan
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

Post by dan » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:44 pm

hi brian,
i think it was you i spoke to. it was this website i learned that recommended the nidec over jvc motor. you refered me to lydia.

by the way, we at silentpcreview are waiting anxiously for the seasonic s12 series. i know that you sell the 380 watt for $80+ dollars.

do you also offer the 330 watt seasonic s12 for say, $50-60 dollars? over at the forum on power supplies we are all asking where to by the seasonic s12, and personally i want an entry-level 330 watt (that or the super flower)

ambrose007
-- Vendor --
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:39 pm

Yo

Post by ambrose007 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:18 am

Yeah Dan it was me i talked to you on the phone the first time then gave ya to layda to do the phone order, i will chekc on the power supplies for you when i get back in to work and post it here for you all to know

Brian

ambrose007
-- Vendor --
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:39 pm

Seasonic Power supplies at Microcenter

Post by ambrose007 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:51 am

Dan, Okay ih ave the s12 380, and the s12 600 but no 300 watt

will see if we can get it added to our inventory

Brian

jldet5
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Microcenter Westmont Samsung Nidec Drives

Post by jldet5 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:50 pm

ambrose007 wrote:Hi, This Brian from Microcenter in westmont we just got a shipment of the samsung SATA 160gb SP1614C drives with the nidec motor's

We have a limited amount, but we do have them you can call and order them over the phone but make sure you tell them you need the nidec's they will now be seperate from the other samsungs.

Ask for Brian in commications, as i have been the one who has been sorting them and making sure the right drives get sent out, and i make commssion...:)

The Sku # is 556431
Micro Center
80 East Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
630-371-5500

P.S

If your looking for anything else we might have drop a line
we will see what we can do

Brian
Any chance you'll be getting some 80GB SATAs?

ambrose007
-- Vendor --
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:39 pm

80 gig sata

Post by ambrose007 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:01 am

We do have the 80 gigs though i have not checked to see what the motor is on them

Brian

Brum Man
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Leicestershire, England

Post by Brum Man » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:56 am

Hello everyone,

My first post so please be gentle! I see that you have found a place in the US that can guarantee these motors, but does anyone know of a place in the UK

Cheers, Peter.

Steelviper
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:36 am

80 gig nidec, niche market

Post by Steelviper » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:44 am

I too am interested in an 80 gig SATA nidec.

It seems that there is something of a niche market that is not being served. I would be willing to pay a (small) premium on one of these drives to have the assurance that it has a nidec motor. I think there are many others (both here in the US and globally, apparently) that would do the same.

Things would be so much simpler if samsung only shipped the nidec units. Has anybody heard about the lawsuit?

Apparently Nidec is suing JVC over the use of patented technology in the manufacture of spindle motors for hard drives. If only JVC had done a better job copying the nidec design...

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=ne ... &id=327902

ambrose007
-- Vendor --
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:39 pm

nidec's

Post by ambrose007 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:23 am

Brian here,

Microcenter can ship anywhere you would like though i don't know what the cost would be for the shipping to the uk. We use a couple different shipphing companies, UPS,FEDX ect so so just give us a call and we can set somehting up

Brian

Steelviper
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:36 am

ENDPCNOISE.com response

Post by Steelviper » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:55 pm

I asked about getting a Nidec unit at endpcnoise, and while the answer wasn't 100% what I wanted it was a lot more helpful and encouraging that what I got at some other places.