what are safe temps for 120g, 8meg, samsung spinpoint ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

malcky h

what are safe temps for 120g, 8meg, samsung spinpoint ?

Post by malcky h » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:13 pm

as title mine is running at 46c (using dtemp), I have had the spinpoint for months with no problems but i have just changed case and now have the following kit.

silverstone Lascala LC01 desktop case
abit av8 mobo
A64 winchester 3200
crucial 9800pro
2x512 crucial ballistix
1 optical drive
etasis fanless psu
zalman reserator 1 (cooling cpu and gfx, bios shows cput idles about 48c load at about 55c)
0 fans (zero fans in whole set up)

I would like like to have an idea as to safe/normal temp levels.

another question: this rig is going to be my htpc set up and have the 9800pro & a ti4200 to choose from gfx, i would like to know which would provide best pisture quality to a sanyo plv z2 projector with the dvi output.

this rig will not be used for gaming, only for video use.

thanks
malcky

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:11 pm

oh GOD you bought a Reserator -.-;;

Quibbles aside, I think that 46ish depends upon your ambient temperatures as to if it is ok or not. Here in California, it's averaging about 25 C ambient in my house, and my hard drives are staying at around 35-40. I got 2 x 74 GB Raptors 1x 200 GB DiamondMax Plus 9, and 1x 200 GB 7200.7. I personally do not own a SpinPoint, as I had a hell of a time trying to get a nidec one, without any luck. Again, though, I think that 46 probably is a tad high. However, you are running in a case with 0 fans (desktop case, if memory serves). Maybe using the 80mm intake or 60mm exhaust, just one fan can do wonders (I dont remember the exact specs for your case).

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:54 pm

A single fan near the drive worked wonders for me. See my results here (second from top).

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm

It's impossible to tell how hot the HD is with the reported temps. Under typical usage, my Spinpoint usually reports (using Speedfan) under 20C while my Seagate is reporting in the upper 30's --- even though they feel about the same temperature.

My personal practice is to physically touch the top and/or sides of the drive with my fingers. If I can't keep touching it for more than a few seconds without burning my fingers, it's running too hot and needs to be in better airflow. This also gives a point of reference to the reported temperature. There is probably a more scientific way of doing this, but I think this is pretty effective and practical.

That said, if my Spinpoint was reporting 46C, it would be way too hot to touch and I'd be worried. Have you physically touched the drive at that temp?

malcky h

Post by malcky h » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:59 pm

based on a few of the temps listed on the above link i am not worried about my hard drives temp of 46c as it has a 3 year warranty (i dont think i have had a hard drive for more than 18 months anyway due to cheapness and needing more gigs) also because i never bothered checking what the temps were in the old case as a point of reference.

cheers anyway folks.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:24 pm

46C isn't ideal but there's not much you can do about it if you're intent on running fanless. Unless you're planning on keeping your drives for a long long time, it shouldn't be issue. Usual caveats re regular backups etc

My SpinPoint is 32-34C (DTemp/SMART) with a 5v 120m fan blowing across it. System is 29C-34C.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:02 am

My SP1213N reports 35°C when idle. I guess the temp would bump 2-4°C if I'd copy the entire drive.

Suspended, hanging behind an intake of Antec 1030B with no fan. Hardmounted to the drive cage I had 31°C (no fan). All SMART temps. Room temp 20-22°C.

That 46°C of yours sounds like a bit too high for a Samsung. Does it feel that hot? Any idea what the temps were in the old setup?

Cheers,

Jan