Is it safe to run raptors like this ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Flanno

Is it safe to run raptors like this ?

Post by Flanno » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:24 pm

Broke the front fan bracket on my Lian-Li v1000. The front fan was cooling my 2 Raptors - Nexus 120mm at 12v. Drives generally idle at 30 degrees according to Dtemp. Anyway, I'm thinking of moving both raptors to the 2 free 5.25" bays and passively cooling them with 2 Zalman ZM-2HC2 heat pipe coolers, and of course noise levels will also be down as no front fan. Just wondering if this approach is safe.

http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/vi ... 4&code=019

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:20 pm

My experience has been that Nexus disktwin is better a few degrees than the zalman. On the other hand the conditions of my experience were with the zalman first version (C1) and with a low cfm fan blowing on them.
I don't know if we can use this result to infer the same data for a version 2 zalman with no fan.

I am happy with my solution so I can just recommend it: 2 raptors with disktwin on the base front of the lian li on a decoupled surface (suspended or on sorbothane) with a nexus 80 blowing on them.

The Instigator

Post by The Instigator » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:26 pm

I would leave it if heat is your only concern. Negative airflow through the case should cool the drives just fine. There was a very long thread about the benefits of negative airflow recently you might want to check out. I dont feel like searching it out right now.

I had my raptor in the Vantec cooler and it got into the high 40s in the 5.25 bay. Now its on a block of foam in the back of the case and stays around 33 (with the vantec cooler attatched)

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:51 am

I had trouble cooling a drive in a 5.25" bay, w/ a 2hc2. Eventually moved it back down to normal hd area. Keep a close eye on them.

Flanno

Post by Flanno » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:41 pm

Ok...moved both raptors into 2x5.25" bays and using 2 Zalman heatpipe coolers. Right now Asus probe shows my CPU temp at 29 degrees, mobo temp at 20 degrees, and Dtemp shows the hdd's both running at 36 degrees. If I run Nav virusscan, followed by defrag and then runs Sisoft file system test, the temps rise to 38 degrees on both drives. Even yesterday the room was quite hot and my mobo temp was 24 degrees, cpu 37 degrees, but the drives still never passed 38 degrees. Is this an ok temp to run these raptors at.

Cant use the front fan on my Lian-Li as I damaged the fan bracket, and don't want to use a fan anyway as I am trying to keep the noise levels down. My plan is to get a WD 3200 when it comes out and run this in the bottom of the case with no active cooling either.

The Instigator

Post by The Instigator » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:15 pm

Thats no problem. Remember that raptors are enterprise level drives so they can handle a lot more abuse than most home users can deliver. They have their own built in heatsinks even. Dont worry about them at that temp.

Flanno

Post by Flanno » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:49 am

Great....thanks...will keep them where they are then...

What you think about the up and coming WD 3200. You reckon it will run without any active cooling in bottom of case. When I had my raptors in bottom of case with no fan in front they didn't run much hotter then 38 degrees as the bottom of the lian-li is pretty isolated from the rest of the system components.