Which is better, CompUSA rubber mounts or EAR Grommets?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Which is better, CompUSA rubber mounts or EAR Grommets?

Post by Shining Arcanine » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:43 am

Which is better for mounting hard drives, CompUSA rubber mounts which look identical to this or EAR Grommets?

I finally managed to order EAR Grommets (I emailed them in the past; today I discovered that you have to call them) today so if they are better, I won't need the rubber mounts I asked CompUSA to hold for me and could save a few dollars.

mshan

Post by mshan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:22 am

They look like a knock-off of the Nexus DiskTwin:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dis ... minum.html

Is the CompUsa one made of aluminum and rubber?

BlueCan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BlueCan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:33 am

EAR Grommets are probably better, if they'll work in your application (which wasn't the case for me). They definitely "stink" less.

The CompUSA isolators and the Nexus isolators are identical. They're probably manufactured in the EXACT same place.

-Patrick

mshan

Post by mshan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:02 am

"The CompUSA isolators and the Nexus isolators are identical."

Hi Bluecan:

Do you know that for a fact?

I was thinking about trying the Nexus ones but these would be a lot cheaper.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:02 pm

All this kind of stuff is made by contract manufacturing companies in China, so it probably is identical.

Be forewarned about the stinky rubber. I don't have these, but I bought something else made in China with stinky rubber (probably made from recycled petrochemicals) and it was so bad that I had to throw it away.

mindwalker

Post by mindwalker » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:02 am

Shining Arcanine,

What is the phone number to call to order the EAR grommets? And what size grommets should I order to mount hard drives? Finally what's the cost of the EAR grommets? Thanks.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:26 am

http://www.earsc.com/

Their phone number is 1-877-327-4332. Call them, ask them if they sell the Hard Disk Drive and Fan Mounting Kit on their website, they'll tell you that it is a free sample, order it.

That is how I did it. It took me several months as I tried emailing them and never got a response. It seems like they don't read their emails.

jldet5

Re: Which is better, CompUSA rubber mounts or EAR Grommets?

Post by jldet5 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:59 pm

Shining Arcanine wrote:Which is better for mounting hard drives, CompUSA rubber mounts which look identical to this or EAR Grommets?

I finally managed to order EAR Grommets (I emailed them in the past; today I discovered that you have to call them) today so if they are better, I won't need the rubber mounts I asked CompUSA to hold for me and could save a few dollars.
Thanks for posting this. I got a pair (compusa) hooked to a diamond max 9 and its working quit well. I added a undervolted fan on top (and to one side) to keep things cool.