Quiet cheap (small) hard drive?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

radrd

Quiet cheap (small) hard drive?

Post by radrd » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:49 am

I'm trying to get my htpc up and running and I have very little money. Right now, all I want to do is watch DVDs, so I don't need a big hard drive.

I'm going to get a WD 250 GB+ SE at some point, but are there any cheap small hard drives around that are very quiet and I can stick my OS on?

I don't care if it is slowest hard drive in existence, I just need cheap and quiet.

Thanks!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:48 pm

I generally use 40GB Samsungs, motor be damned. Though I'm noticing that 40GB 2.5" Samsungs can be had for not all that much more money than the 3.5" drives. That should suit you for both cheap and quiet.

Oh, and WELCOME TO SPCR

JimK

Post by JimK » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:40 pm

The 40 GB 2.5" Samsungs run about $90 at MicroCenter so if that is cheap enough search for other prices on it. Second choice would be the 3.5" 40 GB Samsung. If it's too expensive look at the weekly specials for the big box stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc.) and see what they have after rebate. Someone had a 120 GB drive for about $45 AR recently. Buy one of those and when things get better put it in a USB 2.0 box for offline backup.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:59 pm

At NewEgg, a Samsung 40GB notebook drive goes for $69, while a Western Digital 40GB notebook drive goes for $65 (both with free shipping). However, this doesn't include the price of the 2.5" -> 3.5" notebook adapter...

Aha! I see that Directron has nobebook HD adapters on sale for $9.99 right now! I'll have to pick up some while they're cheap myself!

Also, at NewEgg a Samsung 40GB 3.5" hard drive is going for $49 (free shipping).

Personally, I think this all depends on your definition of "cheap". I don't like to spend more than $200 on a computer, so none of the above matches my own definition of "cheap".