Where can I get Aluminium for my sandwich?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PaulL

Where can I get Aluminium for my sandwich?

Post by PaulL » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:50 pm

Hi folks,

First of all, I would like to congratulate you on a great site! I have been reading here for a while and have been really impressed with how well your topics of discussion have been covered.

I have purchased a couple of Panaflo fans which are working nicely (one at 7v in my PSU and the other at 12 (for now) which replaced the thundering monstrosity that came with my Thermaltake Volcano 7...), and now I can hear how truly noisy my Hard Drive is. (regular Maxtor 40G).

I am wanting to experiment with an aluminum sandwich but called a metal shop and was apprehensive about the +$45 they wanted to charge me for the two pieces of bread.

I live in the Vancouver area (Why are there so many Vancouverites here? We must like quiet so that we can hear the mountains and the ocean, Ahhhh...) and would like some suggestions about where to go for bits of metal. Or if anyone close has some that they are not using anymore and would like to get rid of cheaply...

I think that it would be of benefit to compile a list of resources, particularly for these kinds of DIY projects. I do appreciate the "build it yourself" aesthetic and have done this often, but after spending hours trying to find parts and driving all over town, spending $45 on a SilentDrive box doesn't sound so bad.

Thanks for your help and keep up the great work!
Paul

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:54 pm

hey

first source of course will be the junk yard. and if you hit the jack pot, you'll set.

final resort should be ebay. they have metal places that can cut stuff for you. plus shipping, you're probably looking at about $20-30 just for two plates cut out.

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:22 pm

Hi Paul.

I too live in the Vancouver area (Coquitlam). Aluminum can be found everywhere!

Try a junk yard / recycle depot, or call up a local metal scrap dealer (I have made "deals" with scrap dealers). Another avenue is call up a computer surplus store & ask for old power supplies and strip out the finned aluminum heatsinks (some can be large). I just threw away six old old power supplies with large heatsinks.

Maybe go into the industrial estates like Mayfair, Annacis Island, Mitchell Island and ask for scraps. Another idea is arage sales. I have seen many garage sales with freebee boxes with aluminum pieces.

Good luck & good hunting.

Melchior

Post by Melchior » Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:30 am

The amount of metal you need for your sandwich is really small-- if there's a metal fabricator in your area, stop in and ask them if you could have a look in their scrap bin-- worst-case scenario is they'll say 'no'. I got some neato checker-plate steel from a nearby shop a few years ago while working on a project for a class at UBC.

...Also, check out scrap bins at any place that's likely to produce a lot of scrap metal-- it may be dirty/scraped used stuff, but it'd be free anyway-- any place that makes/repairs heavy equipment/machinery is likely to have a well-populated scrap metal bin.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:13 am

Scavenging takes time, and often, time is money. I scavenge too, but only when I know the chance of success is high. Had all my al plates custom cut new (maybe from scraps, who knows). It was worth it to me.
Last edited by MikeC on Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:29 am

You must realize your time is also worth something.

It's upto you though. If you're die-hard do-it-yourlsef guy, junkyard is for you. It's fun in its own ways. but $20 + clean professional look vs. $0 + time spent sanding it + cutting it + amateur look... just those factors make it pretty convincing....

well if you're looking for an already made heatsink, that's a different story.. junkyard will be a better bet... but for a simple plate, i recommend the phone book or ebay.

PaulL

Aluminum found

Post by PaulL » Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:57 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your messages.

I did manage to find some plates to experiment with so I am well on my way.

I guess that it is all a matter of balance... How much do you want to tinker vs. how much do you want to get real work done vs. -insert-your-factor-here-

In the end, I am finding that the plates are making a bit of a difference with clattering noise but not so much with the whine of the drive rotating (I can still hear it from the kitchen; this is not good). I will have to do some looking at different kinds of foam etc. to see what makes a difference.

Happy silencing!
Paul

gregzeng

Auctions, metal recyclers, throwaway & bargain bins of s

Post by gregzeng » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:21 pm

The shops usually sell electronic parts or units. Repair places of the above parts or units.

At some specialized computer auctions, there's large "junk" computer stuff, particularly old heat sink units that can be retrieved from heavy, old units.

Enjoyed this thread. It's given me ideas too.