Best hard drives??

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dgerol

Best hard drives??

Post by dgerol » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:43 pm

HI,

Just a few simple questions (I hope)...

a) What is the fastest SATA II hard disk of 250+ GB?
b) What is the quietest SATA II hard disk of 250+ GB?
c) What is the best combination of the two?

I am putting together a RAID array of 4 hard disks in an Acoustipacked P180, so I'm not sure if I should be that concerned with ultimate silencing performance as opposed to read/write/heat performance...

Currently thinking of the Hitachi T7K250 disks - some people have mentioned reliability issues with Hitachi drives in the past, but I've seen no mention of this with these specific drives.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:25 pm

er hm couple of pratical questions:

It seems you are making a server.

put it in a closet.

Main comp? 1 terraybte? that's whacked. raid yes eats up space, but man, that's whacked for most uses.

So, if it is your main computer id go samsungs spinpoint 120. i mean, well its not the best or worst reliable drive. its made well, i beat mine to hell as a single drive machine that sometimes serves files to friends, on 24/7 since september. spinpoint 80 it is.

200gb sp120 is the one Mike tested as the only large hd that is even close to quiet while getting near silence if you do it right.

your system will be the seekmaster. it will never be idle im guessing with all those redundant thingies going on. id consider the most silent possible you could find. most hd's are made like crap. i dont think anyone can recomend any.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:03 pm

a) Tough one to call, mostly because it's not clear to me how many drives out there are SATA II. Personally, I think it's mostly marketing BS. Use Storage Review to determine an answer to your liking.

b) Quietest? Either Western Digital's 250GB hard drive, Maxtor's MaxLine, or possibly Samsung's 250GB hard drive, though current reports have been disquieting at best. Though again, read above for my thoughts on SATA II.

c) I tend to believe that drives of the same speed are nominally the same. Though you can measure performance differences by the numbers, I believe that a (double) blind test would reveal that the performance difference really isn't all that important. So whatever you determine to be the quietest is the the best combination of the two.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:16 am

I agree that you don't have any really good options. They are all loud. Heck, if you're sensitive to noise as I am, even the quietest 2.5" notebooks drives are pretty loud, and those are way more silent than the SPCR recommended 3.5" drives. The Spinpoints are hardly quieter than the newer Raptors. I say, forget about acoustics and go for 146GB 15000RPM Cheetahs. They are amongst the most reliable hard drives, not to mention wicked fast.

nick705

Re: Best hard drives??

Post by nick705 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:29 pm

dgerol wrote:HI,

You do know, don't you, that "SATA II" won't give you any perceptible real-world advantage over "SATA I"..?

In fact, there isn't a recognised "SATA II" standard, but if you're talking about a burst interface speed of 300MB/sec, I wouldn't worry about it as there's no drive currently available that's physically capable of saturating even a 150MB/sec "SATA I" bus... :)

cotdt

Re: Best hard drives??

Post by cotdt » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:37 pm

nick705 wrote:
dgerol wrote:HI,

You do know, don't you, that "SATA II" won't give you any perceptible real-world advantage over "SATA I"..?

In fact, there isn't a recognised "SATA II" standard, but if you're talking about a burst interface speed of 300MB/sec, I wouldn't worry about it as there's no drive currently available that's physically capable of saturating even a 150MB/sec "SATA I" bus... :)
Just to annoy you, iRAM can once the SATA2 version is out. =)

Although technically SATA2 is still 150 MB/s and is different from SATA 300.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:52 pm

cotdt wrote:Heck, if you're sensitive to noise as I am, even the quietest 2.5" notebooks drives are pretty loud, and those are way more silent than the SPCR recommended 3.5" drives.
:shock: Jeez, do you cringe everytime a butterfly floats by?