Samsung Spinpoint SP2504C high pitch whine when using USB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sunefred

Samsung Spinpoint SP2504C high pitch whine when using USB

Post by sunefred » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:45 am

Just bought a Samsung Spinpoint 250 Gb with the Nidec motor. Its comparable to my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120 Gb wich is a very good grade. The drive is still the dominating noisemaker over my Zalman 7000B-Cu and VF700-Cu (both on lowest voltage), but I would still recommend it.

However, whenever I plug in an USB-device to the back of my computer the computer emits a very high pitch sound. Its hard to with absolute certainty know that the sound is coming from the harddrive, its the kind of sound that sounds like it comes from all over. However, I am fairly sure its from the HD.

Has anyone had a similair problem to this? If so, did you find a solution?

mrk22

Post by mrk22 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:36 am

I wonder if the whine you are hearing could be from either:

1. The PSU
or
2. The motherboard. The motherboards I've seen with failing capacitors would make a high-pitch whine when there was enough power draw on the system.

But, I guess if you can attach your old 7200.7 and there is no noise with the USB device also attached, then that's a strong case that the Spinpoint is at the root of the problem.

sunefred

Post by sunefred » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:20 pm

I've tried once again to locate that sound, but its impossible to position in. I've tried turning my head back and forth and all kinds of things. The sounds does seem stronger around the back of the motherboard and im now pretty sure its not the harddrive. My PSU is a Seasonic S12 500W so im really hoping its not the cause of the problem. You say capasitators can make sounds? Well I guess both the Motherboard and the PSU have thoose. I will borrow a PSU to see if that fixes the problem.