Samsung SP0812C - Nidec FDB available @overclockers.co.uk

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

myshkin

Samsung SP0812C - Nidec FDB available @overclockers.co.uk

Post by myshkin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:21 pm

Just thought i'd make a post to say, i just ordered two Samsung P80 SP0812C 80GB SATA 8MB Cache drives from ocuk and they're Nidec FDB motors. From what i've read, good nidec sources on the SATA1 drives are hard to find.

as for ocuk themselves, cowboys, lol. They once sent me a bare OEM 6800GT posted in bubble wrap and a jiffy bag, and that was it! Just glad it didn't get bent around or anything. Got my drives today, 2 days late, with the box corner bashed in, and delivered by two 10 year olds (no kidding!) whose dad works for amtrak, ocuk's choice of courier! I was pretty much expecting JVC motors from what i've read on here about current supplies. Glad to say these drives Nidecs.

Noise levels, well i already have a 40gb barracuda IV and a very quiet 7200.7 40gb, both are EIDE, and pretty much silent, except for the slightly audible seeks on the IV. So the benchmark was set, and these samsungs are even better, less idle whine than either seagate drive, barely audible at all running outside the case. Inside they're inaudible as the seagates. I haven't adjusted AAM yet, they're still set for speed, but decoupled the seeks are already fairly quiet, somewhere between the seek noise of the IV and the plain silent seeks of the lucky 7200.7 i have.

One question, i shouldn't trust the smart temps on these samsungs i think? The lower drive feels fairly warm, but the one above is hot to the touch, tho i can keep hold of it without it being uncomfortable. The seagates feel barely lukewarm in comparison to either samsung. smart data is giving me 37-39c for the seagate drives, and a steady 41c for both samsungs. Yet the samsungs feel much hotter, more like 10-15c more than the seagates?

MikeMcr

Post by MikeMcr » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:59 am

You were lucky you ordered 2 drives from ocuk. I ordered one and it was sent in a standard Jiffy bag with no additional protection! Two sides of the drive were bashed in and looked like someone had bounced it off the floor :shock:

Needless to say I sent it back and ordered from somewhere that knew how to properly package hard drives .

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:11 am

I'd rather shove my head in a blender than buy anything from Overclockers. Their rep is so bad it's nearly through the floor.

myshkin

Post by myshkin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:52 pm

I guess the best advice would be to drive to stoke and buy one from their shop, if there's no other nidec FDB source for sata1 samsungs in the UK.

I'm definitely never ordering anything breakable from them mail-order again. They also sent me a freezer 64 cooler that arrived with a broken fan spindle. I used to live a few miles from stoke too, now i'm down in devon, sod's law eh. :)

dhutch

Post by dhutch » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:12 am

the only time i ordered from them (a mobo and H/S)
- the H/S was out of stock (although there site showed it as in)
- then by the time the H/S in, theyed sold all of that mobo, and said i should have diffrent one they had.
- so i said id get it elsewhere!

- Ordered it from somwhere else,
- The twodays later my 'order' arrived from OcUK, with a mobo that was clearly used! (dust around caps, opened/damged box, non of the CDs etc)

- So drove over (only 20mins) and complained a lot to the guy, and ended off geting him to admit it was used, and giving me it for £10.

- Then i had to cancel the order i ordered to replace the OcUk order/

AHHHHhhhhhhhhh, why!!

Daniel

dhutch

Post by dhutch » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:16 am

But back to topic..

.. Im looking for a SATA (orPATA) 160gb hdd, how can i tell if its a Nidec?
.. Does it really matter that much?

Daniel
Last edited by dhutch on Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:19 am

MikeMcr wrote:I ordered one and it was sent in a standard Jiffy bag with no additional protection!
That’s how they sent my Samsung hard drive - foil wrapped in a Jiffy :roll: They’ve got a pretty low reputation, but they’re very careful no disgruntled customers voice their grievances on their forums. The guy who owns OCUK has some very extreme political views, which I’m sure are illegal in the UK. Shop elsewhere if you can.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:23 pm

MikeMcr wrote:The guy who owns OCUK has some very extreme political views, which I’m sure are illegal in the UK. Shop elsewhere if you can.
I've read that too but haven't been able to substantiate it. Suffice to say if it's in anyway true then sending him an turd in the post might well be in order. :evil:

dhutch

Post by dhutch » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:44 pm

Come on guys? i know slaging off OcUK is great fun, but i realy need to know How/if you can tell a Nidec before you buy it (over the web)

Thanks, daniel

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:21 am

dhutch wrote:Come on guys? i know slaging off OcUK is great fun, but i realy need to know How/if you can tell a Nidec before you buy it (over the web)

Thanks, daniel
I've contacted places such as KustomPcs and Tekheads about Nidec drives and they've been able to look/check. Last time I bought Samsungs it was from Tekheads, dunno what they've got in stock ATM.

dhutch

Post by dhutch » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:52 am

also other people have sayed the wouldnt both as the new (FDB) maxtors are better anyway?