Anyone bought a Western Digital drive recently? (how quiet?)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mshan

Anyone bought a Western Digital drive recently? (how quiet?)

Post by mshan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:03 pm

Anybody bought a Western Digital hard drive recently?

If so, could you post the model and your impressions of it's quietness or noisiness?

If available, date of manufacture would also be appreciated!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:38 pm

I have an 80gb from WD, the WD800. It's pretty quiet, but after I suspended it, it's dead silent.

TheAtomicKid

Western Digital...

Post by TheAtomicKid » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:55 pm

I had the good fortune to purchase a raptor recently, using it as my boot drive. I'm by no means a silent pc guru... my pc needs some serious transplanting before I get even close to that realm but... subjective listening to the drive, with no other drives installed, etc, and trying to account for psu noise and my MSI motherboard fan (gawds above, save me)... it's a pretty quiet little bugger. Idle noise is very quiet, but not totally silent. Seeks... I'd describe as a muted rumble... I find them quite pleasant. (the vibration from the seeks is strong enough to be felt through my desk, *cackle*)... but the noise isn't that intrusive, imo.

Now I just need at least one more hard drive... (preferably a raptor... I have a plan), and I can ditch all four of these nasty, horrid, ibm deskstar 75's that are slowly failing on me (at least two of them)... they're also horridly loud, if you've never had the displeasure of experiencing them... even at idle.. but I digress.

I'm very pleased with my raptor, overall. It's not silent, but I didnt expect it to be. It IS quiet, however, imo.

TAK

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:57 pm

I got a WD2000JB-00G VAO a few weeks ago. Firmware 08.02D08, Build 26 Mar 2005. Once bungee mounted it is effectively silent at idle. Seeks (with AAM enabled) are noticably louder than my Samsung SP80 but in real terms are still very quiet.

Overall very happy with it - bought it as a shared media drive to store TV recordings & other video. It is now running in another system: performance (hdparm -tT) is about the same as a Seagate 7200.7 that is running / on that box.

iSix

Post by iSix » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:16 am

I bought 5 WD4000YR's a couple of weeks ago, not bad, but not as quiet as my seagate drives (although I didn't expect them to be since they're enterprise disks)

Xstatic

Post by Xstatic » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:20 am

I have a 9-10 month old EIDE version of the WD2500 and after suspension is very quiet (muted seeks not an issue). No vibration, no whine.

About three ago, one the SATA Samdung SP1614Cs in my Raid 0 crapped out (with NO data loss - hurray for raid!)

Based on the solid, quiet experience of the above WD drive, I decided to replace the raid array with two SATA WD2500JSs and use the good 160 samdung for more general storage.

Array was quiet & I was happy. But one of the new WD drives died last week, and it's replacement has a very annoying whine. It is an inconsistent noise though, similar to descriptions in some of the posts on the newer sataII versions.

What do you think boys and girls? Do you think its defective? Could it be a *third* defective drive?

So, I'm hesitant to recommend the WDs. The Samdung 160s are quiet, but not really reliable imo.