300GB SATA HD recommendations for media storage

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Operandi

300GB SATA HD recommendations for media storage

Post by Operandi » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:16 pm

My music library is about to out grow my current 250GB 7200.8 Seagate so I'm in the market for a 300 gig drive. The drive will be soft mounted via E-A-R isolation mounts in my Lian Li 6070. Seek noise should be less of an issue being a drive for media storage, idle noise is probably more important.

It seems that WD has the best dollar to gig ratio but I haven't used a WD drive in awhile so I'm not sure what to except in terms of acoustics. The other candidate I was looking at was 300GB 7200.8, which I'm assuming should sound pretty similar to my current 250GB drive.

The WD comes in at $121.00 vs. the Seagate for $154, a fairly significant difference in price.

Thoughts?

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:15 pm

I have a 320GB JD series Western Digital and it is basically silent in my current system.
From what i can deduce from the SPCR reviews and user comments both the WD and Seagate are about the same. Given that, i think the WD is a better bet since it is less expensive.
Any difference in sound between the two can likely be attributed to sample variance.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:05 pm

teknerd wrote:I have a 320GB JD series Western Digital and it is basically silent in my current system.
From what i can deduce from the SPCR reviews and user comments both the WD and Seagate are about the same. Given that, i think the WD is a better bet since it is less expensive.
Any difference in sound between the two can likely be attributed to sample variance.
Thanks for the tip. I ended up going with the 320GB Western Digital; it's been installed for a few days and I'm pretty happy with it. I think the seeks might actually be a bit softer then the 7200.8.