Lian Li Pc 61-B hard Drive Suspension Suggestions

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Volkswagen

Lian Li Pc 61-B hard Drive Suspension Suggestions

Post by Volkswagen » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:43 pm

I have a Lian Li Pc 61-B and the system is very quiet and the last thing to do is take care of the 36.7GB WD Raptor SATA HD 10000rpm :D

I wanna suspend it and am wondering if you guys have any suggestions on how and were to do it..

here is the case so you guys can get some ideas

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:23 am

anyone?

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:03 pm

You can do a suspension of a single in the bottom removable harddisk cage with some sewing elastic. Or just leave out the cage and hang it from the fixed 3.5" drive bays. Another sound controlling measure for the LL PC-6x range is mass dampening with something like roofer's tape or vinyl tiles: the top panel is especially vibration-prone (or used to be a year or so ago, the could have changed the design but I doubt that). That rear fan grill has to go too if you have a case fan installed (which I'm assuming you do).

Have you done any mods to the case?

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:19 pm

yeah I have Sound dampening isntalled through out the case along with 4 Silent Zalman 80mm Fans @ 5v 1700rpm 20dba @ 20cfm MY X800XT runs @ 50 % fan speed so that silent also and the Ante True Power 430W PSU seems to be quiet also

Ill have to try out suspending the raptor this weekend and see if it realy does wonders like u guys say :D

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:28 am

teejay wrote:You can do a suspension of a single in the bottom removable harddisk cage with some sewing elastic.
That's exaclty what I'd do, and have done in my similar setup - PC-7 with 2.5" Samsung drive. With the raptor I would think you'd want to keep some air flowing over the drive from th front fans. With my laptop drive I removed them as it doesn't generate anything like the heat...

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:22 pm

Ok i suspended my raptor in the 5.25" bay with some Bunji type of elastic from a book bag i had laying arround and OMGGGGG I didnt think it was going to make this much of a difference in noise.........This is unbeliavable

Might have to replace my lian li with the Antec P150 once it comes out :)

This was the best mod ive done to my pc and it was free and took me 5 minutes :shock:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:41 pm

Volkswagen wrote:Ok i suspended my raptor in the 5.25" bay with some Bunji type of elastic from a book bag i had laying arround and OMGGGGG I didnt think it was going to make this much of a difference in noise.........This is unbeliavable

Might have to replace my lian li with the Antec P150 once it comes out :)

This was the best mod ive done to my pc and it was free and took me 5 minutes :shock:
Funny how almost everyone has the same reaction.... going back >3 years: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=2232 :lol:

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:34 pm

Eventually you might want to suspend your harddisk in the area where the 3.5" drive cage was/is: in the 5.25" bays it's not going to get a whole lot of airflow so it might heat up more than you'd like.

Do you use the blow hole in your case? I'm assuming you do since you use 4 80mm fans... have you ever tried without? My old LL got cooler & quieter without it. Also, with a single drive you can probably get away with just one front intake fan (ideally this would be placed in the middle but that would require some cutting), which would halve the number of case fans. Then again, if you can't hear an X800XT stock fan running at 50% you either have an unusually quiet stock graphics card, an extremely well dampened case or a noisy enviroment.

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:57 pm

yeah my case is dampend well :D I can hear my dads fishtank in the living room over my pc at the moment.....And you are right I unplugged the top 80mm fan (vibrates alot) and now my system is quieter and cooler which might be cuz I took out the hd cage along the raptor in it so it might be getting more air?

I mainly did this mod kinda quck to see if it gona do anything with noise levels and IT DID. Now I am considering replacing my Lian Li with a Antec SL-300B or wait and see if the P150 will come out in black cuz I love the built in HD supension :D

Orbit

Post by Orbit » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:34 pm

I have suspended 3 of my 3.5" drives in the lower drive cage of my PC-61, with aluminium U Channel for cooling

The problem was, the drive cage did not have the horizontal holes for feeding through the elastic, so I screwed in the little 'divider' metal piece, that was designed for mounting 3.5" hdd's in the cage horizontally instead of vertically. I screwed this in just for the mounting holes. I needed the extra cooling as I'm in Perth Western Australia, and it gets pretty hot here.

There's not much clearance between the U-Channel and the drive cage, but there's enough. My seek noises are a LOT quieter, and the high pitch whine from the Western Digital 120gig is far less noticable.

After seeing the reviews on the new Antec case which comes with elastic suspension system, I'm ready to ditch my Lian Li ;)