Scorpio WD800VE spinup in a Thinkpad X31

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DonP

Scorpio WD800VE spinup in a Thinkpad X31

Post by DonP » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 pm

Has anyone found that on boot up you can hear the WD800VE rev up and then shutdown suddenly, rev-up, shutdown, rev-up, shutdown, rev-up and by this time the BIOS has finished its thing and the disk remains spinning.. and then the OS starts to boot?

Ok, so this could be an issue with the current required to spin up the disk.. but why does the final spin-up attempt just happen to work just in time to boot the OS?

Anyone else seen this? I guess it's going to effect longevity since the disk is spun up three (four?) times at every boot.

The startup current of my previous disk (IBM Hitachi Travelstar IC25N040ATCS04 aka 40GN) was 940mA (4.7W@5V) and the WD800VE pulls only 900mA.
The issue could be that the WD800VE is pulling this current for a longer period.. and what's this RPS (Reduced Power Spinup) that's mentioned in the link I just posted?

I'm pretty sure that the disk is working fine - I've had it in a USB enclosure hanging off the same laptop and directly in a dekstop PC and it didn't do this rev-up/down thing.

Anyone heard of this RPS and tried it?
I found a link about RPS for a different drive and it seems like an interesting thing to try.

I'll try it just as soon as I can find a suitable jumper and I'll report back.

DonP

Post by DonP » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:59 pm

Ok, as a follow up to this.. I finally found a jumper which would fit the header pins diagonally.. and it's still no good. Even with this jumper I still get a start/stop/restart cycle a few times. It doesn't happen at first boot though - only after a retsart of windows. Maybe it's a HD firmware vs BIOS issue.