Blue EAR grommets?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

one80

Blue EAR grommets?

Post by one80 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:26 pm

Where can I find these EAR grommets for hard drive mounting I keep reading about? I've searched but haven't come up with anything.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:51 pm

one80

Post by one80 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:06 pm

Thanks but I really don't need the rest of the stuff in there. Probably the only place that will ship to Australia though :-(

Kizz

Post by Kizz » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:16 pm

Does anywhere in the UK stock those specific grommets, or am I just as well off using the Acousti mounts and my own DIY solutions?

MattHelm

Post by MattHelm » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:00 am

I would also like to know where I can get something like this, but I live in the US. I think I could cough up the money for the kit, and use the rest of it, but I'd rather just get what I need. (the main computer HDs I need these for, don't have a 5.25" bay free)

I noticed Sorbothane also sells bushings, where could they be found locally? Looks like they mostly sell to the auto market, would that be a good starting place?

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:19 am

The blue grommets in the Nexus and Sharkoon kits are not E.A.R. grommets. But, they should be OK to use if they are soft enough (made from the right material). The EAR grommets are for antivibration AND shock absorption, while the ones in the Sharkoon / Nexus kits should be suitable for just antivibration use (what you're most likely looking for).

To the UK poster, there is an UK audio shop that sells sorbothane (not the softest, but low enough duro IIRC). Search the forum for the link or send a PM to StarFishChris (he actually might have some for sale still). I have searched UK for EAR grommets but without luck (both retail and industrial, GelMec sells them, but I don't know if any person/company has ever actually managed to communicate with them :lol: )

To the north American poster, try McMaster-Carr if you want sorbothane or EAR grommets. Just a note, you need proper shoulder bolts to be able to use the EAR grommets properly, co-incidentally the shoulder bolts that come with Antec Sonata work well enouogh for the smallest grommets. Search the forum for "McMaster-Carr grommets", that should bring up the correct part numbers. If you can't find them, let me know, I have them somewhere (don't know where...). Their shipping should be quite cheap inside the states, but ordering overseas is freaking expensive, they only ship DHL IIRC.

The grommets are nice, but sorbothane is also very nice for other antivibration use (case feet, heatsink fan mounting (You can use it atleast in temps up to 55C IIRC)).

Hope this helps.

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:12 am

What about these from altronics? Not sure what material they are made from, but look like they can handle closed flanged fans also, as well as a fan guard. Perfect for those prone to tinsnipping big holes..
Fan Guard Mounting