Serial ata enclosure

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elec999

Serial ata enclosure

Post by elec999 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Is there any serial ata enclsoure that could actually make a hard drives noise disappear.
Thanks

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:46 pm

As a suggestion, it might be more effective to research some models, and then post a more specific question like, does anyone have experience with ABC or XYZ?

If you're just getting started, here is on that I'm familiar with, although I haven't actually used it myself:

http://www.nexustek.nl/driveaway.htm

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:04 pm

No enclosure will completely silence modern desktop drives. Notebook drives in a desktop system in an enclosure can do this. The best, almost guaranteed way is to make your own with aluminum sandwiching, like many other people on this site. If you want a market solution, go with the SmartDrive 2002C. Compared to reports on the Nexus Drive-a-way, Scythe Silentbox, Silentmaxx enclosue, etc., it still seems to be the best out there.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:21 pm

Got any clue which store in Canada sells these enclosures.
Thanks

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:23 pm

elec999 wrote:Got any clue which store in Canada sells these enclosures.
Thanks
Why ask humans when you can ask Google?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... %22+canada

derekva

Post by derekva » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:26 pm

If you have the money ($375), you could try one of these. Price does not include drives...

-Derek

elec999

Post by elec999 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:41 pm

Im sorry guys. I would like to add more details. I got a Western Digital 250gig sata II drive. And I cannot stand that loud whinning sound it makes. The seeking noises arent that bad, but the whinning noise is killing me.
Thanks

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:32 am

elec999 wrote:Im sorry guys. I would like to add more details. I got a Western Digital 250gig sata II drive. And I cannot stand that loud whinning sound it makes. The seeking noises arent that bad, but the whinning noise is killing me.
Thanks
I don't think you can silence a noisy drive like that without also causing it to overheat. In my experience loud idle noise is very hard to get rid of, suspending the drive doesn't fix it and all the enclosures I've tried can't silence it completely.

I think you'd be better off simply buying a less noisy drive like a Samsung Spinpoint and just using the WD for backups. Or you could put it in an old PC running in a cupboard/spare room and use it as networked storage. Some of the drive enclosures are pretty expensive considering the limited noise reduction they provide, I think that money would be better used buying a quiet drive.

Most people seem happy enough with a Spinpoint or other quiet modern drive. Unless you have a very quiet system, an enclosed or suspended Spinpoint would probably be almost inaudible. Personally I'm a 2.5" drive convert, they're much easier to silence than any 3.5" drive due to their lower temperatures and small size. Obviously they're also more expensive, slower and lower capacity so aren't worth it for most people.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:16 am

this is why people start out with quiet drives to begin with, and then if the noise still bothers them its not such a difficult thing to silence them down to an acceptible level.

just FYI, i have the smart drive 2002, and while it doesnt "technically" supports SATA, i have my sata seagate in it, and it works just fine. it eliminated all the seek noises, and about 95% of all the idle noise. its basically inaudible unless your sitting in a quiet room trying to hear it.

karennina

Post by karennina » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:37 am

Hello all! my first post...

and the big idea is - to make my own case modelled on the BTX front to back airflow principle - does anyone have a BTX already, how has it been? Any help would be appreciated.

My plan would be to use 3mm steel plate, because weight is not really an issue for me, welded together to stop any case vibrations or reverberations.

How this relates to this forum and isnt just an errant newbie post, is: I'd definitely like to use the suspension method, and because the case is my own design it'll be easy to guarantee space sufficient to to suspend the smartdrive 2002c, or a drive sandwiched with the aluminium plate and rubber foam method. Which is best for heat conduction and noise reduction, all other things being equal? Any comments/help welcome

Flexo

Post by Flexo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi elec999.

I use a Scythe silent box to encase my samsung spinpoint sp2004c. Its Completely silent when inside the case at both idle and spin, and thats with an already very quiet setup. Temperatures inside the HD gradually climb to max of 41C after about 5 hours and stops climbing. Would of gone for the smartdrive 2002c but its impossible to find in UK or Europe.

Hope that helps.

ACOUSTIC CASEC6607b + 2 NEXUS 120 FANS (FRONT & BACK) | ATHLON 64 3700+ SAN DIEGO CPU | SCYTHE SCNJ-1000 NINJA HEATSINK + NEXUS 120 FAN | ASUS A8N-E MOBO WITH ZALMAN ZM-NB47J + NEXUS 120 | SAPPHIRE X800XL ULTIMATE VGA | SEASONIC S-12 430W PSU | OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC3200 REV 2 | SAMSUNG SP120 200GB (SP2004C) HD RESTING ON ACOUSTIC FOAM INSIDE SCYTHE SILENT BOX | PIONEER DVR-A09XLB DVD/RW | MCUBED T BALANCER XL