Western Digital JS series drive temps are wrong admit WD

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

deksawyer

Western Digital JS series drive temps are wrong admit WD

Post by deksawyer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:55 am

After having very high temps (via Speedfan) on my WD JS160 sata drive; around 55-60°C, while the Maxtor right next to it was always around 30-35°C, I asked WD what the problem was. Here's their reply;

Dear Mr Anderson,

some new JS version have a fault in the temp algoritm coding, that's why the temp can be 20C over the actuall temp. We are still working on a sollution for this( maybe firmware update, but it is not sure).
You data is safe only the reading of temp is wrong. We are still working on a sollution. You can offcourse make an RMA replacement, but we advise to do this in about 1 month, because the js and KS models are given a new firmware and are now not in stock.
Again, your data is safe, the temp reading is not correctly given, for other sugestions, we will always consider it.

REgards
Mo Altintas

Now I'm a little bit more at ease knowing my drive isn't going to burn out.

Just thought I'd post this so other WD users can benefit from their reply.

D.

atmo

Post by atmo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:29 pm

My 2500JS (manufactured 13th of feb 06) has the same issue.

Since it shouldnt have an effect on reliability, i dont think i'll bother getting a replacement (unless it develops other problems), but it is good to know that they will RMA because of this.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:13 am

Kind of odd there is nothing on WD's website that I could find on this issue.

Do both of you have the SATA II versions?

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:26 am

Same here. I've got the WD1600JS and temp reading is currently at 59C, yet the drive is reasonably cool to the touch.
I sure hope they release a new firmware to fix this. I really like this drive a lot, very quiet with AAM enabled.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:18 pm

NoizEnvader wrote:Same here. I've got the WD1600JS and temp reading is currently at 59C, yet the drive is reasonably cool to the touch.
All you really need to do is calibrate the offset. Check the temp immediately upon booting into windows from a cool overnight start. The HDD doesn't change temps all that fast, so compare the HDD reading right at the start to the room ambient. That's your offset.

My most recent Samsung SP 80GB, an SP0842N, has a 7C positive offset - it consistently reads high. No problem, I just mentally subtract the 7C. Somebody told me that offset can be programmed into SpeedFan, but that's too much work. I like raw data. :lol:

coldmist

Post by coldmist » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:48 pm

Just go Options: Advanced

And in the Temp sensors, find the hard drive in the list, and change the offset to -7 or -20, and then they will read fine in SpeedFan.

My video card needs a -29'C offset ;)

toNka

Post by toNka » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:15 pm

coldmist,
SpeedFan reads your gfx card temps?
Is that normal for nVidia cards?
I have an ATi card.
Or maybe there is a way to relay the temp.
I know you can relay the temp from ATiTool to MBM5.
Never heard of a SpeedFan solution though.