Maxtor warranty woes :/

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

niels007

Maxtor warranty woes :/

Post by niels007 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Hey all,

Here's something odd. I have a dead diamondmax 10 200gb drive here, from feb. 2005. By that time most HD manufacturers switched to 3 years warranty..
Maxtor's warranty policy for DiamondMax drives is a little odd. Units sold as bare drives are covered by a three-year warranty, but those sold in retail packaging only get a one-year pact. It seems counter-intuitive that the retail drive kits would get less warranty coverage than bare drive equivalents, but there's no reason for enthusiasts to buy more expensive retail kits, so I can't complain. Perhaps Maxtor is only serving up extra warranty coverage for bare drives because it knows that those who buy bare drives are conditioned to expect better warranty coverage. It's unfortunate that the unwashed masses who are buying retail drive kits get shafted with a single-year warranty, though.
That is what Techreport.com says and you've guessed it, mine is a retail drive and thus no longer in any warranty period. :( Its kind of annoying though, I don't believe the OEM ones are physically different so why does mine have 1 year warranty and the rest 3 years?

Would I have a chance somewhere / somehow to still RMA this 15 month old drive? How 'cool' is Seagate now they bought Maxtor?

/Niels

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri May 26, 2006 6:16 pm

WD used to pull the same crap with 1/3 years on retail/oem drives.

I don't think you'd be able to RMA your drive. Buy one with 3 or 5 years warranty next time.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Sat May 27, 2006 10:02 pm

No harm trying. The last Maxtor I returned only required the serial number to be put into the online RMA questionaire and it let me know the warranty status of the drive. Nobody asked for proof of purchase.

Only caveat to RMA is you pay the shipping.. otherwise it was a pleasant experience (10 days to Canada)

Anyway.. I thought OEM drives were only 3 months ??

ddd