Alternate softmount HD in Solo or P150 - double grommets!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

josephclemente

Alternate softmount HD in Solo or P150 - double grommets!

Post by josephclemente » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:40 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has tried or posted about this before, but I have tried something for mounting my two hard drives which I'm very happy with.

Instead of using 4 silicone grommets per drive, I'm using 8. This requires longer screws, so I picked up some #6-32 x 1" Nylon screws from Home Depot. I was able to tighten them completely and the screw stops just before touching the grommet.

Now, my hard drives are mounted much softer than the regular grommet way, but more secure than the elastic. This works VERY well - I can't tell the difference between this and the elastic suspension! Definitely an improvement over single grommets - no more vibration or hum.

EDIT: Picture Added

Last edited by josephclemente on Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beel

Post by Beel » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:30 am

I like the look of the Solo, but haven't seen the HD mounting up close.

Are the grommets you are referring to included with the case, or are you referring to some of the DIY solutions from the board?

Did you put the grommets in like grommet, then drive cage, then another grommet, then the drive?

Finally (ok that's 3 questions), do you have some pictures you can post?

I think it sounds like a great idea. I have a different case with the drive suspended, but I'm not entirely happy with the setup. Yours sounds like it might be just the ticket. Thanks for posting.

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:27 am

It's good to see someone having success doing this. I've been trying to implement this for a while, but I cant get my hands on any grommets! I cant believe that it's the norm to only use one per screw, though... :?
Again, some pics would be nice 8)
It makes sense to put a grommet either side of the chassis, and can no-doubt be used for a number of components, not just HDDs.

(if I can just find the flaming grommets... :cry: )

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:37 am

This method sounds very much like that suggested by m0002a a few years ago, using high density foam as "extended grommets." It is a very effective and inexpensive approach with Antec drive sleds.
(if I can just find the flaming grommets...)
So just make your own grommets from that HD foam

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:21 am

Bobfantastic wrote:(if I can just find the flaming grommets... :cry: )
The Nexus Anti-Vibration kit costs ~$18 and comes with 12 of them, plus some other stuff. Xoxide has a proprietary version of the kit that's slightly cheaper but essentially the same. And then there's the McMaster.com catalog. At the opening page, type "grommet" into the FIND (search) window and go crazy! The same grommets are there that are in the kits, but you can buy industrial quantities or far less, whatever you want. :D

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:32 am

Thanks for that (and apologies for hi-jacking :wink: )
I've just shelled out for the Nexus kit, should arrive this week. The McMaster site did have a lot of grommets, but I couldnt work out which ones I needed (and the shipping was going to hike up the price).

back on-topic: We still need pictures, josephclemente!

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:47 pm

Beel wrote:Are the grommets you are referring to included with the case, or are you referring to some of the DIY solutions from the board?

Did you put the grommets in like grommet, then drive cage, then another grommet, then the drive?

Finally (ok that's 3 questions), do you have some pictures you can post?
I have added a picture, that should help. :)

I used the grommets that came with the case. The case comes with 16 grommets total.

I also like the way it raises the drive. It is now mounted more between sleds. I think this should improve air movement below the drive.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:25 pm

I ordered my Antec solo today and I will definitely copy this dual grommet mounting method. The temperatures reported look great for multiple drives.