Planning to get a new Hard Drive, but a few questions first.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ozkar

Planning to get a new Hard Drive, but a few questions first.

Post by Ozkar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:57 am

Currently, I have a 74 GB Raptor and a Samsung 160 GB Hard Drive. I need to replace the 160 GB HD because i'm running out of space. I'm planning to get a 320 ~ 400 GB hard drive and I'm looking for recommendations from you.

There is a couple of considerations: First, my priority is not a silent drive. My priority is performance. Of course, I don't want a really loud drive, but a reasonably quiet one. My Hard Drives sit on top of sorbothane strips to reduce vibration.

Second, I have a D875PBZ Intel Motherboard, with SATA I support. Since I want a fast drive, should I get a SATA II PCI Card and a SATA II Hard Drive, or will SATA I be enough for semi-heavy use? I work with large files, copying, moving, and processing them. Will I notice the benefits of a SATA II Drive?

I want to spend around $90 - $130.

Thanks in Advance

mond

Post by mond » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:13 am

As for any difference between SATA I and II, you will to my knowledge not have any advantage as the higher bandwidth of SATA II is way above what a modern harddrive can deliver.
For quiet drive recomendations, head over to the recomended section http://www.silentpcreview.com/article29-page2.html. Check storagereview.com if you're interrested in performance ratings.
Personally I have a 300 GB Maxtor Diamonmax 10 which is fairly quiet (only idlenoise is slightly too loud but not a problem) and performance is much better than the older Samsung P80 anyway.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:57 am

I checked the recommended drives. There are only 3 drives currently recommended there: the 500 GB WD Caviar (too expensive for me), the Raptor (74 GB only), and the Samsung (80 GB only).

I'll check the StorageReview.com website as soon as it comes back online (it doesn't work right now)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Can't see the trees from the forest? Check the latest reviews in the Storage section & on the front page. There's a new 400GB Samsung.