Do I Want To.....

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pixel_pimp

Do I Want To.....

Post by pixel_pimp » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:24 am

Low-level format my HD using PowerMax? All data is backed up, or will be shortly.

It's a Diamondmax10 and I've had a lot of trouble with files going corrupt (most notably windows components!). The store attributed this to the fact that I was using it as a boot disk on a PCI SATA controller which they said is a bad idea but since upgrading to a new mobo etc, I've had the same thing happen! (including the partition table which 'broke' causing no small amount of angst untill it was recovered!) Basic tests reveal no errors but windows has jumped into checkdisk on bootup so I figure the errors may have been masked by CHKDISK's corrections. I have to come clean and admit I don't really understand how these things work.

Having had three seagate barracudas which have given long and reliable service, this is all new territory for me - can anyone advise? The store will not replace the unit unless I can demonstrate that it is faulty.

Please forgive the OT as it's not a silencing question really.

alfred

Post by alfred » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:16 am

Hi,

After finishing all backups you may want to test this Maxtor with some free, powerful, low-level utilities from Ultimate Boot CD; if the drive is faulty then it will give ample proof for the store.

Do you know if the Maxtor overheated ? or had unusual sounds ?

pixel_pimp

Post by pixel_pimp » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:45 am

Speedfan showed the temps always in the 35 to 39 degree range so I don't think it's overheating. Noise was higher than the seagates but not notably ominous.

alfred

Post by alfred » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:11 am

ok, so maybe the Maxtor is still healthy; if the UBCD utilities don't find any problem, what I would try is to full- (not quick-) format the hard disk, followed by a clean Windows install. You can do the full-format in the beginning of the WinXP setup procedure when booting from the install CD-ROM. On some occasions WinXP has a great ability to create corrupted files, and sometimes it's easier and safer to reformat the hard disk instead of trying to repair everything.

pixel_pimp

Post by pixel_pimp » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually using win2k which has served me well in the past but I'll try the same procedure.

I've currently got a windows installation on an old PATA drive so I can set up the SATA drive to be the boot again and, if all goes wrong, I can just swap drives and all the s/w is there and ready to roll again. Don't want to think about how many hours I've lost to re-installing windows over and over again.

alfred

Post by alfred » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:33 pm

I'm still using the old Norton Ghost 2003 DOS version to create ghost boot partitions from each computer, storing them on hdd in a fileserver. Restoring one takes ~5min.

pixel_pimp

Post by pixel_pimp » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:42 am

Got a snipe on an ebay auction for a copy :wink:

alfred

Post by alfred » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:14 am

Nice :) Probably one of the most useful utilities you'll ever see.

Here is the way I use it : each computer uses only one HDD; first partition for boot, windows, programs (20~40 GB allowing enough free space for some software creating huge temp files when working, for example video coders); second partition for user files. It's best to create those 2 NTFS partitions when doing a clean WinXP install on a freshly formatted hard drive. When I have a good, complete, clean, properly configured WinXP install, I run a cleaner software (not mandatory), then defrag the boot partition (same comment), then I boot on the Ghost 2003 DOS cd-rom (or equivalent on customized bootable USB memory card); in Ghost I create a ghost from the boot partition to the user files partition. This way the ghost files are available if I need to get back to this previous Windows state. I only keep one or two ghosts on the user files partition and archive all others to the FileServer PC.

PS. You don't need to install Ghost 2003 under Windows, unless you want to view/modify/extract some files/.. from your .GHO/.GHS files. Also, when running Ghost 2003 under DOS, if the mouse isn't enabled (depending on your motherboard chipset & bios config) you'll need to tweak the bios, or use keyboard only (TAB key, etc).

Extensive informations about Ghost 2003 on http://ghost.radified.com/

pixel_pimp

Post by pixel_pimp » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:14 am

Not dissimilar from how I set up my drives - only I go a bit wild with the partitioning! - not sure if it's necessary but I set up a windows-only boot partition, a scratch partition, a work files partition and a music & video 'play' partition.

The idea of the scratch partition was that it would cut down on fragmentation as all the large temp files are written and resized over time.

alfred

Post by alfred » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:17 am

I think you're right pixel_pimp; setting up several userfiles partitions tends to lower the fragmenting process rate. The only reason I'm not doing it this way is that I often found myself needing 20 GB more on E:, 30 GB less on F: and so on :wink: Obviously it's easy to resize partitions but in order to go straight & simple I now only fix some partitions sizes when I know I'll need them to be of a given size, for example when they're meant to store a few, huge PGD files (password-protected cabinets acting as partitions with some free space when unprotected).

pixel_pimp

Post by pixel_pimp » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:02 pm

OK - done the low level format and the drive showed no errors in powermax.

So I created my partitions again and formatted, started copying my MP3s back over and hey presto, the system hangs after a short while, the HD light stays lit and, although the mouse moves etc, anything that appears to involve the HD will fail to work. I have to press the reset button to get it to start up again.

This is driving me nuts! :evil:

*edit - drive is running at 40 degrees according to speedfan - is that normal?

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:09 pm

pixel_pimp wrote:*edit - drive is running at 40 degrees according to speedfan - is that normal?
Yes, this is a perfectly normal temperature for a 3.5" hard drive.

pixel_pimp

Post by pixel_pimp » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:35 pm

....aaand just got a BSOD saying "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" among other things while copying files.

I'm tempted to cut my losses and fork out for another drive but, without any guarantee that I won't have the same problem, I'm a little hesitant.