LG DVD drives are noisy seekers

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mrzadoc

LG DVD drives are noisy seekers

Post by mrzadoc » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:53 am

I'm just in the process of putting together a home theatre PC using the Antec Fusion case and have the thing running to the point where it is inaudible at 1 meter. Yay! Except for....

The DVD - now I realize that when they spin fast they'll never be quiet... and when spinning slowly (1-4x) this one is fine for spin noise.

However... the seek noise is unbearable. I've also checked a couple of other LG models at work with the same findings.

Just thought I'd share that tidbit and also maybe go fishing for feedback here. Previous threads have talked about spin noise and using Nero Speed thingy to slow down on DVD play which is good for that... but what about quiet seekers... any out there?

nicoliani

Post by nicoliani » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:48 am

Stay out of NEC, NEC DVDRW ND-4570A. What are thinking when making this loud JETS?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:16 am

At work, we have just started using LG DVD-EW drives, instead of the Lite-On drives we used to use, due to high faliure rates.

However I just started using the first drive today, and its seeks are noisy, and it causes a lot of vibration when seeking.

Looks like Samsung, and Pioneer are next to try, NEC sucks.

Andy