WD Caviar SE SATA 320GB 16MB cache quiet too?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Savvycat

WD Caviar SE SATA 320GB 16MB cache quiet too?

Post by Savvycat » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:38 pm

Hi,

I was reading the recommended storage section, but could not find the 320GB model. I found the 250GB and 500GB models though.

So, I wanted to know how the 320GB model compares to the 250GB/500GB models. Sorry if there is already an article about it, I could not find it. Any information about how quiet it is will be helpful.

I was originally planning on getting the Seagate 7200.10 320GB, but found out that it is noisy. Now that I'm re-evaluating my options, the WD 320GB seems better, and much better value than the WD 250GB one.

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:15 pm

I have the WD3200KS 320Gb, and it is way quieter than my old Maxtor Diamondmax 9. To me, the drive kinda reminds me of the faint sound of a bag of marbles clanging together when it's accessing, if that gives ya any idea. :D If I had to guess, I would say it ranks pretty high up there, as far as quietness, smoothness and speed go. If you shop around, it can be had for under $100 US.

merlyn
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by merlyn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:03 am

ya same here, i'd agree the noise signature is fairly benign for a 7200 rpm drive. i have two of these, plus two with pata interface, in suspended silentmaxx enclosures. they're not inaudible but the noise is quite low frequency broadband kind of whoosh similar to what you'd expect from a fan that was going too fast (ie. 1000rpm), although i suspect i'm hearing some resonance. i've still got some work to do on my case and i think i can probably reduce this further.
value for money is excellent although i recently noticed the 400gb price coming down. wd have been impressing me in the last few years, they've really stepped up as far as acoustics are concerned. their older drives were the bane of my life for quite a while.
i'm seriously considering an enclosed raptor as a system drive, i'll let you know how that goes :)