Is this a good elastic cord for suspending hard drives?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Is this a good elastic cord for suspending hard drives?

Post by Shaman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:07 pm

I've been researching elastic/bungee materials and came across this rather unusual metallic siver shock cord on ebay LINK

Is this pretty much the same bungee cord many of you buy at sewing stores, but just in silver color? This elastic has a 100% stretch rate and has the 1/8" thickness MikeC recommended.

The reason this caught my eye is because I think it would look good inside my Lian Li case. :)

Thanks.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:32 pm

I was also wondering if this might be conductive, could the hard drive malfunction if the cord touched the pcb underneath it?

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:52 pm

Can't be sure but I doubt it's actually metal those would be mighty tough "spaggetti straps on formal gowns" if it was.

Goths wear cargo pants? Who knew
:lol:

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:47 am

IMO, stick with the standard black stuff. Those metallic stretchy jobs can be brittle sometimes (they snap easily).

I don't know if the stuff I've seen is the same as that link, but when it comes to your HDD's can you afford to be wrong?

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:55 am

If it's aesthetics you're worried about - go with Stretch Magic - clear matches any case.

jedster

Post by jedster » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:51 am

i bought some stuff for sub $2.00 at walmart. works great.

i do hate walmart though, i'm ashamed. you can probably get it at target too. just look in the crafts section, in the sewing and/or bead-making area.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:08 pm

You guys make me look cheap, when I go ask free broken bike innertubes from local bike fixing shop's trash bin... now Rubber, that's good suspensing material, or innertube. Elastic, strong... And free for me. Its as aesthic as you can make yourself. For me, aesthics of HDD suspension in 2ndary matter, its only matters if I can effectively silence 3 HDD's at the sametime safely.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:58 pm

thejamppa, I like your philosophy, other then the outside of the case it should be function before form, always.
Cheap is better if it works as well as more expensive stuff.
And being able to solve things in a creative way is rewarding.

pelago

Post by pelago » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:13 am

I thought the problem with rubber was that it would perish, especially at high temperatures inside a case. Something like Stretch Magic doesn't perish apparently.

By the way, anyone know where to get 1.8mm Stretch Magic in the UK? The biggest I've been able to find is 1mm.

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:06 am

I use ordinary sewing elastic. Does the job really well.